Recall on ALLL firestone tires?! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recall on ALLL firestone tires?!

cool, tbomb!! you know where to find me. thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

( BW)(IL-KENNETH-MOLL) Kenneth B. Moll & Associates, Ltd. Announces That Ford has Recalled 13 Million Tires Requested in Worldwide Class Action Lawsuits Filed Last Year

Business Editors

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 22, 2001--Kenneth B. Moll & Associates, LTD. commends Ford Motor Company's recent decision to put safety before profits in announcing that it will replace an additional 13 million Firestone tires currently being used on Ford Explorers.
Previously, on August 9, 2000, Bridgestone/Firestone announced a voluntary recall of 6.5 million ATX, ATX II and Wilderness AT tires. Firestone, however, continues to deny that it should recall any additional tires. There are alleged to be over 174 deaths and 700 injuries reported as a result of dangerous and defective Firestone tires on Ford vehicles.
On August 28, 2000, Kenneth B. Moll & Associates, Ltd. filed its Worldwide Class Action against Ford, Bridgestone and Bridgestone/Firestone seeking, among other things, the recall of these additional 13 million tires.
On October 24, 2000, the Judicial Panel on Multi-District Litigation Ordered that all cases pending in Federal Court be transferred and consolidated before one judge in Indianapolis, Indiana. During this litigation, over 6.5 million pages of documents have been produced, which include several hundred depositions. Kenneth B. Moll "believes that Ford's decision to replace these defective and dangerous tires is a direct result of the pressure against the company through evidence uncovered in this litigation."
Ford announced today that it will replace all Wilderness AT tires, including 15, 16 and 17 inch tires on Ford Motor Company products. Customers will be able to return the recalled tires to a Ford dealer and receive free replacement tires not manufactured by Firestone. Alternatively, customers will be reimbursed for replacing these recalled tires at specified tire replacement centers. Customers will receive up to $110 for each 15 inch tire and $130 for each 16 or 17 inch Firestone tire. The reimbursement plan is available for customers who previously replaced their Wilderness AT tires that were not included in the August 8, 2000 Firestone recall and for owners of Ford Explorers, Rangers, Expeditions and F-150 trucks equipped with Wilderness AT tires. It is estimated that all 13 million tires may be replaced over the next 9 months at a cost to Ford of $2.1 billion.
Attorney Kenneth Moll said, "Ford has made the correct decision that will help protect millions of people. The replacement program comes as we approach the warmer summer months when, historically, most of the reported cases of tread separations have occurred. The additional 13 million recalled tires are the exact tires we requested be recalled in August, 2000 when we filed our original complaint. Unfortunately, the delay in recalling these tires may have resulted in the deaths of over 86 people."
Additional information is available upon request.

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
Just talked to Ford.

Sounds like a great deal to me. Time for some KO's!!

Matt,
I take it you kept your factory tires when you went to the Pro COmps? Do you plan on getting rid of those or are you going to get 2 sets of tires? I'll consider buying the procomps.

Also a word of caution, I had a 235/75/25 spare tire and called the Firestone dealer to confirm that it was OK to purchase a different size tire. Dealer said OK. About a month later I recieved my forms back saying I was denied because replacement was wrong size. I called Headquarters and a guy in the office said that there was a misunderstanding with the dealers and only the same size are to be replaced, and I will need to write a letter of appeal(drag this on for a few more weeks before I get my $100) I feel confident I will get my cash, but for everyone thinking they have $500 worth of free money to buy big meats... check into it so you don't get screwed. Call a dealer and if they say ok get the persons name and log the date and time of call.
Figure my $.02 could save a few the heartache.

I have a '97 with 15" original firestone tires. Does this mean they will only replace these or will they reimburse me???

gotta love it

ha ha revenge at last I get some money out of ford!!!! I only need to $37,500 more to break even woohooo.................... maybe they will recall the seats or something else...........

Lol Soho!

hey guys, ford says you need a paid receipt to get a refund, i bought my car with firestones on it, how am i going to get reimbursed without a paid receipt?

JAS84 You need a paid receipt if you have replaced the Firestones prior to the latest FORD recall. So the reciept would be for newly purchased replacement tires .........

:)

YOu think ford would make it easy to do this transaction HA!

Use Adobe Pagemaker and just 'make' a receipt from some fictitious, out of state tire dealer or something. ;-)

hey now that is fraud i am going to report you to the mderator..................... heheh

j/k

Arent Explorer owners genius? :)

what if you no longer have your old stones

?,I went and got the bfg ko's in the 265 75 16 size for my '99 sport. I sure hope I'm not left out on this one,I could not stand the balance / wander problems with those tires. in fact I bought 2 sets of kos since the stones, the 255/75/16 ko's,before I did the
ome/twist,I sold those to a freind at work,then bought the bigger 265/75/16 ko's that are 0n there now.I still have both receipts !!
but I'm in an apt. and can't have 4 truck tires in my apt ?.

What about me?

I still have the Firestones on my truck, but they are now on chrome aftermarket rims. Will Ford try to screw me since the tires were put on aftermarket rims? Or is 91 out of the picture anyway?

peter, that url doesnt work. typo?

Wilderness AT III

I just checked the Ford website regarding tire listing and which ones are recalled, it doesn't look like my Wilderness AT III 31" size are included. Does anyone know if there is something I can do to have them replaced?

Thank you in advance.

I'm going to Ford next week to finally collect my $$. Quick question though. When I put my Goodyear RT/S 265/75 R16's on last year I did not replace the spare. Now im wondering when I replace the spare, will that size 265/75 R16 fit in the spare tire spot underneath? and will they even give that tire to me for the spare?

I just got a reply from the "inquiry address" on the web site. It was canned but had a number for a direct call to inquire on the tire replacement (1-866-300-1226). I just talked to "Norma" at 8:05 PM (today) and as a spokes person for Ford she said that I could have any manufacture's tire put on but it had to be the same size. The list on the Web page is just the "suggested" types. I speficaly asked about Michelin "Cross Terrain SUV" and was told it would be OK.
I intend to have the "correct size :) " installed and the dealer will give me a receipt for the 235/75/15. Since all Michelins will cost more than the allowed amount I will pick up the diffence anyway.
Something to think about.
I want to put something comfortable on the vehicle before I drive across country in July, and I don't really care about the diffence in cost for a tire I want. If cost and price were a factor I would have kept my 90 Cherokee instead of financing for this Explorer.
Hope this helps anyone wondering about what type of tire they want to replace the Firestones with.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did anyone get $$ from a dealership for tires you replaced before this last recall? the one here said they were only replacing tires now and i would have to send the stuff to ford for the reimbursement, but that will take 6-8 weeks to get $$ back. i could REALLY use that cash now though! anyone had luck yet?
96 EddieB... did they tell you they would give you the $$?

Back