Recall - Rear Suspension Safety Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recall - Rear Suspension Safety Issue

peterk9

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3
The following has been included in the 2011 - 2019 TSB and Recall thread. Posting it here allows for comments.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just had the tow links replaced in Feberuary or March, for a recall, are they now replacing those also? I got another notice in the mail a day or so ago.

I just had the tow links replaced in Feberuary or March, for a recall, are they now replacing those also? I got another notice in the mail a day or so ago.
What was that notice for? According to the linked article, notices are expected to go out the week of August 3rd.

Peter

So will this cause the revised, non-welded toe link to fracture or only the old welded style?

If they're only going to inspect and not replace unless the inspection fails them, I doubt mine will need replaced yet, so then what, do I keep taking it back to them every few years until they've degraded enough? I like old fashion greaseable BJs!

Come to think of it, I don't even recall if they replaced my toe link or just inspected that and replaced a couple nuts & bolts, here's the only line items on the receipt from that:

1626549254919.png

This is the third recall for the rear toe links however I think they are just extending the coverage. So basically if you missed the last recall window, you can still get this fixed for free.

I got the heavy duty Steeda toe links which are night and day compared to the weak factory style.

This is the third recall for the rear toe links however I think they are just extending the coverage. So basically if you missed the last recall window, you can still get this fixed for free.

I got the heavy duty Steeda toe links which are night and day compared to the weak factory style.
I could be wrong, but unlike a shorter time limit TSB fix, a recall is free for 15 years, regardless of owner, according to federal law.

I could be wrong, but unlike a shorter time limit TSB fix, a recall is free for 15 years, regardless of owner, according to federal law.
Correct, Recalls do not have an expiration date but the manufacturer is not obliged to provide the work for free on vehicles older than 15 years.

Peter

^ Yeah I worded that wrong, meant 15 year limit from original sale date, not from date of recall.

Sounds like they may have finally found the root cause of the toe link failures, but are just trying to use it to buy themselves more time and not have to replace all of them (since there is alot of us out there) or just trying to get us to keep coming back to the dealer to get retention scores up

So, I wonder if I should wait until this recall to bring my X in for the 20S62 recall and get both completed at the same time.
Or, will they say 20S62 is fine and only go with the newest one.

The following has been included in the 2011 - 2019 TSB and Recall thread. Posting it here allows for comments.

Peter
Is there a recall thread here? I noticed my truck is eligible for 20V-675 and 21V-537. Wondering what they will do.

Is there a recall thread here? I noticed my truck is eligible for 20V-675 and 21V-537. Wondering what they will do.
Yes there is. Maybe more than one but I think this is the Main Thread:

Is your address up to date at the DMV? They should have sent you a letter, or two or three by now lol.

I just looked it up at the NHTSA Recall site by vin. I see it says they replace the knuckles. What about the wheel bearings? Wouldn't they pretty much destroy those getting them off the knuckle or the axle shaft off the bearing?

^ What I have, looking at 20S62, only states "Dealers are to check both toe link ball joints integrity and, if necessary, replace the rear wheel knuckle(s), and adjust rear toe."

If it hasn't failed yet, I don't see why it would be necessary to replace the knuckle, but if they replace the knuckle, don't you have bolt-on hub/bearings, not a separate bearing in the knuckle? IDK, my '14 has AWD but I also don't see any separate bearings listed on Rock Auto for a '15, just integrated into the hubs.

You can get a hub off the axle shaft without destroying the bearings, unless it's seized up and needs some serious hammering to break free.

You can get a hub off the axle shaft without destroying the bearings, unless it's seized up and needs some serious hammering to break free.
140,000 Pennsylvania miles.

^ Seems like a wait and see, I mean as I mentioned, I don't see a reason they'd replace the hub if the toe link didn't break so there's no damage to it.

When I did my '98 (front) hubs 3 years ago, I was surprised how easily the axles came out, despite it being my go-to driver for salted winter roads since new and having plenty of rust elsewhere on the undercarriage. Maybe it's the hardened metal, or the penetrant I let soak in an hour ahead of time... or maybe I'm Thor with a BFH and did damage but didn't notice because I was replacing the hub/bearing. ;) It really didn't seem like it took much to get the axles out... but a '98 front, is not a '15 rear. YMMV.

I can't comment about the bearing, but I recall (no pun intended) that the letter I received said to replace the toe link and if there's still a clunk, replace the knuckle.

Yes, there is, it's in the Stickies section, but the info posted there is taken from posts here and general information. I cannot vouch for its completeness.

Peter

Back