Reccommendations on 4" lift for '94? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reccommendations on 4" lift for '94?

Jet Ski Puller

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac 4.6
I looked through the poll, and the votes were nice, but it didn't tell whether those who voted were happy with their lifts or not. I just purchased my '94 and want to install a 4" lift. I'ts mainly for looks, so I still want it to ride as good as possible and don't want a lift that bangs or clanks or makes a lot of noise (got a buddy with a 6" Pro Comp on a Yukon and it sounds like a popcorn machine, it's always creaking and popping). I've been looking at Skyjacker and Superlift. Any reccommendations? Know where I can get the best deal on a kit (I want new rear springs, not add-a-leaf)?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey welcome. I have only been here for about a month and this place will give you an answer to just about anything. I take it you want to go with a supension lift instead of body. Try 4wheelparts.com. I think they are pretty much the cheapest. I would personally go with superlift. I have heard great things about them.

Welcome, I have 2" PA body and 2" Skyjacker suspension, it is add-a-leaf, but I'm very happy with the set-up..Handles far better then stock....Check around, do a search, I'm sure you will come up with the answer you're looking for..

While I'm happy with the 4" lift from Superlift, there is something you should be aware of. The rear leafs will lose some of thier arch not too long after you put it on. If I were to do it again, here's my suggestion. Get the material for the 4" lift in front-brackets, shocks,..etc (check in the 'For Sale' forum-you'll get the stuff cheaper than from ordering)but do the spring over in the rear. Reason: the new arched springs(IMO) aren't really rated for the heavy Explorer let alone if you pull a trailer. The SOA(spring over axle) uses the same springs and shocks that are on yours now and you'll have the rear slightly higher than the front, thus after hooking up a trailer, it will sit rather normal instead of dragging butt. I plan on SOA this summer to get rid of the arched springs. I think the arched springs would work fine on an Explorer who just wanted 2.5" or 3" (front) and wanted the rear to sit a tad higher. Good luck.

Goober is right, go with SOA in the rear. It's cheaper and you'll save youself a lot of hassle down the road.

I recently upped to 6" of lift using the 4" Superlift coils and 2" spacers. I really like the softer spring rate of the 4" coils...

CHH777 I think Riffman told me you run the 4" in the front and the Spring over in the rear. I am thinking of doing that. What shocks do you reccomend that i run? Do you think extended radius arms are needed? Will help with handling?

I appreciate the advice. I had heard that the Superlift springs were prone to sagging. Thanks for confirming that. I've seen some Exp's around with a 4" susp lift and 31's and I think that's the look I want . . . not a monster truck, just a little more aggressive. But, if I go all the way to 5.5", won't the 31's look a little small? I do like the look of some space between the body and tires. If I get too large of a tire, my ability to pull my trailer is going to be hampered without some serious performance mods. I probably only have the $$$ to do a filter and maybe a chip.

To an earlier comment . . . my jet ski trailer has low tongue weight, so dragging butt in the rear isn't really an issue. With my current stock setup, there's no change in vehicle attitude when I hook up my trailer.

Anymore advice based on my comments?

Any other 4" lifts that are good performers that don't have sagging issues? Why are so many people into Superlift lifts if there are spring sagging problems . . . Skyjacker, Trailmaster, Rancho?

Thanks.

superlift mite be good now it only took them 9 years to get all the bugs out ,my skyjacker has been flawless . arsoul has 4 inch trailmaster and his drop bracket is hitting his diff superlift has had this same problem for years sometimes one tire sticks out more than the other sometimes your wheel base gets shortened and u can only fit a 31 with 6 inches of lift joe93 u said u read good things about them i haven't seen anybody write about how good there superlift kit is btw jet ski puller superlift is cheaper in price and also in quality

So CMartin, if I understand you correctly, you're saying you really like your Skyjacker lift? Is it a 4"? No spring sagging problems?

Anyone else concur?

Cmartin people that I have talked to about there superlift have said they like them but only one of them had an explorer lifted and he said he liked it. I am sure people have had problems with them. I have decided to skip the aftermarket lifts and do a solid axle conversion.

yupper

I have the TrailMaster 4" and have had absolutely zero problems with it for 2 years. My front coils are sagging a little now but I just got them warranteed through 4 Wheel Parts Wholesaler this week. I don't have extended radius arms and I have 35 inch tires. Good luck.

DannyBoy,

I was running the SuperLift 4" in front w/SOA in the rear. I just upped it to 6". Definately skip the SuperLift rear leafs and go SOA. You can use the stock length rear shocks but will need new longer fronts. My Rancho 9000s are now too short. I will sell them soon and buy longer shocks.

I bought my SuperLift w/ the ext. RAs and have never driven a lifted Explorer without them so I can't comment. All I know is it rides better lifted than it did stock.

Back