Recent purchase but missing parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recent purchase but missing parts

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 2WD
So I won a 2003 XLT this last weekend via a local online auction. I currently own a 03 XLT 4.6L and love it. My son is heading up to NAU this fall and I doubt his cute Mitsubishi Mirage will do well in the snow so I got a second XLT. Well after I got it, I found several items removed from the engine. I'm happy with the purchase ($525) and would love to get it back up and running soon. I'm thinking he was just trying to change out the water pump on it. But the starter was removed as well. The harmonic dampener looks to be replaced at one point. The motor is a 4.0L. I see the crankshaft sensor is still attached to the harness, just out of the photos range. What I'm looking for is a front shot of a 4.0 third gen. Hope someone can help.. Thanks
27112360455_c400fb5438_c.jpg

26506573734_f85405a207_c.jpg[url=https://flic.kr/p/Goi7TY]IMG_20160518_154132519

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Water pump and tensioner pulley.

Nice job matching the paint to the color of the Oleanders......

:D

Pop the valve covers while you have it there. He may have been pulling, or pulled the timing cover to look for detonated timing cassettes and a trashed tensioner. The odds are pretty good. Luckily you arent in very far so you could cut your losses or drop a grand on a lightly used 4.0 SOHC.

First of all, for what you paid for the Explorer, you're not going to get hurt. But, with the missing parts (water pump, tensioner & starter), I'd be very suspicious that the engine has some other issues. If there wasn't something wrong with it, you wouldn't have got it for $525. But at worst, you could replace the engine and still be ahead of the game.

Anyway of tracking down the previous owner? I'm guessing you have the title.

Good Luck

Tom

First of all, for what you paid for the Explorer, you're not going to get hurt. But, with the missing parts (water pump, tensioner & starter), I'd be very suspicious that the engine has some other issues. If there wasn't something wrong with it, you wouldn't have got it for $525. But at worst, you could replace the engine and still be ahead of the game.

Anyway of tracking down the previous owner? I'm guessing you have the title.

Good Luck

Tom
I actually am in the middle of getting a hold of the previous owner. I'm talking to his wife via facebook and all she knows is it kept throwing belts. The harmonic balancer looks to be a newer part compared to the surrounding parts.I got it from an auction as a repo'd title loan car. So the cost has no bearing on the condition.

So just got off the phone with the last owner. He said it was driving just fine then at one point it just shut off. The starter would spin the motor then stop is if it hit a stop. The starter was removed and tested fine. I'm guessing it's the jackshaft chain. Thoughts? Is it rebuildable if I pull the motor out or did a valve hit a piston? I thought the days of interference timing were gone??

Back