Recently rebuilt 5R55E slipping going into overdrive | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recently rebuilt 5R55E slipping going into overdrive

newstylecustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 Explorer Sport
My transmission was rebuilt last spring by a professional and has a rebuilt valve body installed. It has recently starting slipping slightly on the 4-5 shift. He stated that it could be the solenoid that controls that shift. I am not seeing any problems with the 1-2 shift or any other (he said the same clutch is used for 1-2 and 4-5?). Just wanted to get some second opinions.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be the band adjustment or a bad servo on OD. people are quick to blame electronics on most tranny problems.

J...JMHO

If it's an engine rev, my money is on a slow solenoid (SS3 or SS2), if you ask your mechanic, he might tell you that one of the solenoids he tested barely passed, but he didnt replace it.

I spoke with him again last Thursday, he said it could be the servo as well. I just don't want to pull the tranny again. I don't know that he tested the solenoids since he installed the rebuilt valve body complete from the remanufacturer.

Thanks for the replies.

Check the OD band adjustment.
You sure it's OD slipping and not the torque converter lockup?
Is the OD light flashing, if so get the code read.

The O/D light just starting flashing yesterday. If flashed for about two minutes then went off.

There is a code stored in the computer get it read. You need a code reader that reads manufacture specific codes. A standard OB 2 reader will not work.

There is a code stored in the computer get it read. You need a code reader that reads manufacture specific codes. A standard OB 2 reader will not work.
Did for me...:eek: And they were transmission codes...I used the pocket scanner from Wallie world

Did for me...:eek: And they were transmission codes...I used the pocket scanner from Wallie world

I don't currently have an codes that my scan guage can pull. A while back I had these codes P0421, P2417 and C0354 and none where related to the transmission that I could find.

Green, was that system OBD1?

Please clarify that before promoting wallyscans.

Please clarify that before promoting wallyscans.
I dont promote anything from Wally World, except for their doughnuts. :D

Mmm good.

Wow, I think this got a little off course.

I took my truck back to the guy who rebuilt the tranny, he is swapping the valve body for another with a shift kit (which I tried to get him to do when he rebuilt it), so hopefully it will be fixed soon.

Got the truck back last night, shift kit installed and shifts properly now, slightly firmer that stock. So apparently the problems where all in the valve body, still don't know if the solenoid was bad since he swapped the whole valvebody for another.

BTW, the O/D off light still flashes for the first few minutes while driving

"Bad sign, shakin' like that in this heat..."
Riddick

Back