Recharging the AC in a 2004 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recharging the AC in a 2004 Explorer

Neilskidcar

Reaction score
vahenrys.com
I'm new to the forum (just bought a 2004 Explorer last week). The AC in my truck wasn't as cold as it should have been, so I decided to recharge it. I've charged the AC on several other cars, so I know the basics, but wanted to check on the board to see if anyone had posted directions; like where to find the low side port. The fittings are keyed so you can't hook into the wrong port, but it is still nice to get confirmation before beginning a project. Anyway, I didn't find anything specific to this generation of Explorer so I took a picture when I did my recharge. If this has already been posted I apologize for posting again - (but I couldn't find it)

Symptom - AC is not very cold (but is cooler than the ambient air), and you can hear the compressor clutch cycling on and off when AC set to high.

Potential Solution: Simply add a can of R134a. It'll run you anywhere from $8-$40 depending on the brand, additives and hoses. I bought a can with the sealed top since I already owned a hose with gauge and piercing valve. Any of the setups you find in the store will do, as long as they have a gauge. You must have a gauge. Wear eye protection - seriously.

Process:

1) Locate the Low Pressure valve for the AC System. On my 2004 Explorer 4L V6, it is located in the front on the passenger side. It should have a black dust cap on it. Remove the cap.
2) Start the truck, turn the AC to 'MAX' and the blower to high.
3) Screw the hose into the can of R134a, and connect the other end of the hose to the Lower Pressure valve.
4) Tighten the Piercing valve on the R134a side of the hose all the way down, and then un-tighten it. Freon should start flowing into your system.
5) If your system is low on Freon, the gauge will fluctuate as the compressor turns on and off. That's normal. When the compressor is off, the gauge is measuring the pressure in the can vs. the pressure in the system and may cycle all the way up into the red before returning to the Green/Blue. Eventually the compressor will stay on and the gauge will stop fluxuating. If it remains in the red abort the project and take it to a mechanic. You have a more serious problem.
6) Let it run for 5-15 minutes until the can is empty of your system is fully charged. Periodically shake the can. You'll know you are passing freon from the can to the system when you see the freon can 'sweating'.
7) Once the can is empty, turn off the truck, unhook the hose from the Low Pressure Valve and replace the dust cover. Unhook the hose from the can and keep it for future use.

vahenrys.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's pretty much what I did, but it didn't help my situation....and summer is starting to take hold here.

Did this recharge your system?

Bottom line here is you have a leak in the system. Common problem areas are holes corroding through the side of the receiver or in the condensor (usually at the bottom). Remove the insulation from the receiver and check for oil and corrosion near the bottom. If it seems fine visually check the condensor for signs of oil staining which will collect dirt. Other areas that sometimes leak are compressor connections and shaft seal.

It will only get worse unless components are replaced. I just replaced my receiver last month. After seeing the corrosion on mine I put soapy water on it and easily found the leak.

That's pretty much what I did, but it didn't help my situation....and summer is starting to take hold here.

Did this recharge your system?

Yes, I put 12oz of Freon in and that brought it to an acceptable level of pressure. The AC is cold now, but I still need to add another 4oz or so to bring it up to the optimal level. This is the car that my teenagers drive, so I don't want to put too much money in it for 'convenience' items like AC. I used the freon with a 'stop leak' and 'oil' additived to plug any pin holes and O ring problems.

It's so expensive to replace an AC system, so I'm going to try to limp this one through for awhile.

I know it's been over a year sine you posted this thread, but I just wanted to say thanks for doing so. This is what these forums are all about. I got rid my 97 V8 over the winter and picked up an 05 V6. I'd recharged the 97, but just needed a refresher course. Thanks again.

Back