• Register Today It's free!

Recline lever Broken

hotrod_ron

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer Sport
Hi All, I have a 96 Sport..2wd. My recline lever broke on my driver seat, and also the leather is coming apart, i am wondering if I got a seat out of a 4 door, will it fit in the 2 door and still tilt and move forward like the 2 door seats do?...thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if im not mistaken there was a recall on this problem.

Al,
What is the recall notification # and what years are affected? I have the same problem as well. Thanks!

Al,
What is the recall notification # and what years are affected? I have the same problem as well. Thanks!

James, sorry, I no longer have the letter.

Give the local Ford dealer a call with your VIN; they can check for you.

Good luck ....

The recall was for a bolt, not the recline lever.

I've got a brand new recline mechanism, bought it and ended up replacing the front seats. Let me know if you're interested and I'll find it, not exactly sure where it is right now.

Hi All, I have a 96 Sport..2wd. My recline lever broke on my driver seat, and also the leather is coming apart, i am wondering if I got a seat out of a 4 door, will it fit in the 2 door and still tilt and move forward like the 2 door seats do?...thanks for any help.

To answer your original question, since no one has :D Yes, front 4 door seats will fit in a 2 door just fine. Rear seats are different.

Also, if you still have the recline lever you can have it welded back on. Thats what I did with mine and it works just like new. Sounds like you're looking for new seats anyway though.

This is a very common issue, I had a 98 xlt and the damn kever would always bend getting in and out of the car, it did fall apart in the end after a few bends back in place. Ford dealers can order you a new one, made a little better, to withstand the odd bum brushing!

Hi there, I just bought a "97 explorer and the same thing is wrong with the drivers seat. If you still have the handle could you give me a price on it? Thanx, Tom

Hi there, I just bought a "97 explorer and the same thing is wrong with the drivers seat. If you still have the handle could you give me a price on it? Thanx, Tom

This thread is back from 2007 I doubt he has it anymore my man. The same thing was wrong with mine. Go to a junk yard pull one off a few 10mm bolts hold it on I think, mine was like 5 bucks.

Back