Recommend shocks for my 1st gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommend shocks for my 1st gen

natenkiki2004

Blue Bomb!
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 & 1994 Explorers
I've got a 1991 Explorer that has CarQuest Bruiser Gas XD shocks, looking online, these are Gabriel rebrands. I haven't read much good about Gabriel. Looking in paperwork, I'm guessing these shocks are 8-10 years old and have at least 40,000 miles on them. The rears might even be factory original at 227,000 miles, I haven't looked at them close.

I absolutely hate the way the vehicle rides. They are very firm, almost stiff, to the point where I can pretty much feel every rock on a gravel road. I don't plan on rock climbing or doing severe offroading but I do travel on hardpack and gravel roads a fair amount and I'm tired of being rattled to death. Some offroad capability would be nice but I'm sticking to 235/75-15 tires. Granted, my tires were old and crappy, probably hardened up a bit. I have new tires on the way but when the budget allows, I'd like to put new shocks on. I'm a total newbie, never once changed a shock, let alone have experience with different brands.

With that in mind, what can you guys recommend? Thanks in advance :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump... does anyone look at this forum section?

If those shocks are 8-10 years old then they should be pretty worn, meaning soft, or stuck.

Personally, I've only run 3 different brand shocks...

KYB (don't even know if I can get them for the X) - on the stiff side, at least for cars..
James Duff - they are 70/30 shocks and were too loose for me
Rancho adjustables - I've been running these on the X since they were 5 way adjustable version..

With that said... The explorer doesn't exactly ride smooth anyway. It is a truck on a truck frame BUT it shouldn't be extremely bad. If you are feeling everything, look at tire pressure first. If you are on the higher end of the pressure spectrum your ride will suffer. In general 30-32 psi seems to give a soft enough ride without killing your mileage. Some people like to run higher pressures (with higher rated tires) to help get better mileage, but this is an explorer... It wasn't made for gas mileage..

I've seen other threads on here over the years and I can't think of any single brand that wins... Some like blistens while others like the monroe... Hopefully some others who have tried multiple will chime in...

~Mark

Obviously shocks are a personal preference. What's firm and controlled to some, are soft and unstable for others. If "comfort" is
a priority I can't think of a more popular shock than the Monroe SensaTrac. Slightly firmer than OEM, but with added stability and control. They are by no means a "performance" shock, and you will probably experience more body lean when turning, and front nose dive than your Gabriel's under hard braking. Using 235/75-15 stock profile tires these should soften your ride considerably. Monroe also has a 90 day "Safe and Sound" trial and will refund the price of the shocks and up to $100 installation labor if not satisfied. Also, after many years the SensaTrac name has been changed to OE Spectrum or OE Spectrum SensaTrac.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/support/Safe-and-Sound-Guarantee/

I would recommend lowering your tire pressure for the gravel road. At street pressures you will feel every bump in the road despite the shocks.

I've used both Rancho 5000s and Bilstein 5125s and on gravel and dirt roads the Bilsteins outperform the Ranchos. That said Rancho has a new monotube shock out that I would try.

If you want a smooth ride and comfort, for shocks, the Monroe Sensa-Trac is going to be a tough shock to beat. I had them and they were pretty much the best all-around shocks. A comfortable but very controlled ride, very predictable handling, and even as the miles piled on, they still worked well past their rated life.

You may also consider the KYB GR-2, but these may be slightly firmer, harder to find, and more expensive unless you can find a deal. Monroe shocks are sold pretty much at any parts store that doesn't sell Gabriel products, and you can usually find them on sale or for some kind of "Buy 3 get 1 free" deal.

I switched to Bilsteins, which are about the firmest shock out there and so probably not what you are looking for, but they give the most controlled ride for a heavy SUV and have a lifetime warranty, so they are a better shock in a lot of ways.

Also as mentioned, you should check your tires and tire pressures, as about 30-32 psi gives a decent ride with P-metric tires and 32-35 psi for LT tires. As the Firestone recall revealed, 26 psi is too low, even for the stock 235/75R15 tires. For a smooth ride and comfort, you basically want to run the lowest pressure that still gives even tire wear. If you have LT or all-terrain tires on there, they will ride firmer than P-metric tires, and all-season tires like the Michelin LTX M/S2 will usually ride better than a tire like the BF Goodrich All-Terrain.

Also, after many years the SensaTrac name has been changed to OE Spectrum or OE Spectrum SensaTrac.

This doesn't appear to be the case as Monroe shows the "OE Spectrum" line as being completely seperate from the "Sensa Trac" line on their website:

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/products/

OESpectrum
Precision-tuned for foreign nameplate applications.

Sensa-Trac
Premium shock absorbers for drivers who want ultimate comfort with added control.

Using Monroe's E-Catalog, checking the OP's and my application, only OE Spectrum is shown with old SensaTrac part numbers.

I'd guess that's an error on the part of whoever typed in OE Spectrum instead of Sensa-Trac in the catalog.

Going by their description of OE Spectrum shocks as being "Precision-tuned for foreign nameplate applications", I don't think they even make them for the Explorer.

Wow, whole bunch of responses :)

First, I just put new Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT235/75-15's on my Ex and the new rubber is much nicer. I could actually live with the feeling now. The old tires I had were dry rotting and 7 or so years old, probably hardened up pretty good. I've aired the Discoverers to 32 in the front and 37 in the back since the sticker states a 5 PSI difference between front and rear. I went with the LT due to the extra ply and thicker tread so I have more protection against sharper rocks and other offroad hazards.

I was looking at the Rancho 5000 series since I'm ok with that price range and they seemed popular but I couldn't find much opinion on ride quality. Heard a lot of good things about the Monroe Sensa-Trac though.

Also, the rear shocks definitely look OEM. There's no apparent branding on them and they're black. Totally different from the front ones.

I don't do a ton of freeway/highway driving. There's little stretches and some of them wind back and fourth but are also hilly so I'll probably never be hitting turns at 60+ MPH so body lean may not be a huge issue. I don't need shocks for dedicated offroading but I don't strictly want street/commuter shocks either. I don't expect a "cadillac" ride but something to help out with washboard, potholes and uneven ground.

I know shocks and things like that are a personal choice but I come asking for help because I have no experience in choosing shocks. These will be the first ones I've ever bought and installed.

Do people use stiffer shocks for offroading?

I've aired the Discoverers to 32 in the front and 37 in the back since the sticker states a 5 PSI difference between front and rear.

You've got that backwards, you want the 37 in the front tires and the 32 in the rear tires, unless you have the engine and transmission in the back of the vehicle. Vehicles that have the engine in the front are usually pretty front-heavy, so you want more pressure in the front tires to deal with that weight. Extra pressure in the rear tires of an unloaded vehicle is only going to cause a rough ride AND make the shocks work harder.

What sticker says a 5 psi difference? There's nothing wrong with a 5 psi difference (it generally helps handling and works better for unloaded front-heavy vehicles), but I've never heard of a sticker on Explorers or with Cooper tires that says to have a 5 psi difference.

I went with the LT due to the extra ply and thicker tread so I have more protection against sharper rocks and other offroad hazards.

Unfortunately, in the 235/75R15 size, the P-metric and LT tires both just have 6 plies, but sometimes the LT tires have a little extra tread depth and so slightly thicker rubber on the sidewalls as well, making them a pound or two heavier than their P-metric counterparts. They do ride firmer because of this, though.

I was looking at the Rancho 5000 series since I'm ok with that price range and they seemed popular but I couldn't find much opinion on ride quality. Heard a lot of good things about the Monroe Sensa-Trac though.

Rancho shocks are made by Monroe. The 5000 series is fine if you just want them for the looks of an off-road brand. Just about anything is better than worn out old shocks.

Also, the rear shocks definitely look OEM. There's no apparent branding on them and they're black. Totally different from the front ones.

The stock Motorcraft shocks were all-black, but generally after this much time they will have completely rusted. They may have been replaced with newer OEM shocks, either from another Explorer or wherever the previous owner got them from.

I don't do a ton of freeway/highway driving. There's little stretches and some of them wind back and fourth but are also hilly so I'll probably never be hitting turns at 60+ MPH so body lean may not be a huge issue. I don't need shocks for dedicated offroading but I don't strictly want street/commuter shocks either. I don't expect a "cadillac" ride but something to help out with washboard, potholes and uneven ground.

Good shocks control body lean, but their main job is controlling the wheels and tires to maintain contact with the ground. The front and rear sway bars can get upgraded with polyurethane bushings if you want less corner lean without going to very firm shocks.

I know shocks and things like that are a personal choice but I come asking for help because I have no experience in choosing shocks. These will be the first ones I've ever bought and installed.

Do people use stiffer shocks for offroading?

"Off-road" shocks are generally "firmer" because they limit and slow the movement of the wheel/tire and suspension more, an action called damping. You can either have firm shocks that control really well, or not so firm shocks that still give control, but not as much. For off-roading, you generally want more control, especially over the heavier tires used on trucks and SUVs, but slow-crawling trail rigs can also use shocks that don't damp as much because you don't need much damping when then suspension moves really slow.

Some people actually prefer soft shocks for off-roading, and many long-travel baja rigs and prerunners actually have pretty soft suspensions so they can land smoothly after getting airborne, but the tradeoff there is handling - they generally take a corner at speed like a sack of potatoes.

The big difference in shocks in terms of construction is between twin-tube and monotube shocks. Twin-tube shocks (like Monroe Sensatracs, Ranchos, KYB GR-2, Gabriel, OEM Motorcraft, etc.) use two oil chambers with low-pressure gas and generally ride smoother. Monotube shocks (like Bilsteins, KYB Gas-a-just, KYB Monomax, and a few others), use high pressure gas in one big oil chamber and generally ride firmer.

That single high pressure oil chamber in the monotubes also lets the metal body of the shock work as a heatsink to cool it better than the twin-tube design, but the twintube design is not as prone to failure if damaged, since one tube can still work even if the other is damaged from contact.

That's not to say that a vehicle equipped with monotube shocks will always ride rough, or twin-tube shocks will always ride smooth, but a combination of things like tire type, tire pressure, and just the construction of the vehicle and its suspension type all play a part in how it rides with whatever shocks, springs, tires, wheels, etc. are on there. The TTB and solid rear axle of the Explorer do not ride as nice as the luxury SUVs with A-arms and 4-wheel independent suspension.

My guess is with the new tires and just about any new decent brand shocks on there, you will notice a big difference and it will ride great. The "rough" ride you are feeling now is probably more to do with the complete lack of control the worn out shocks have over the suspension.

You can safely pick out Monroe (either the Sensa-Tracs or the slightly upscale Reflex) or Rancho 5000 shocks if you like those, or other brands like KYB, Eldebrock, Bilstein, etc. and you will get some good shocks that will complement the new tires nicely and make the vehicle a LOT safer and more pleasant to drive on any terrain.

You might also want to inspect other items like the radius arm bushings and ball joints, which also play a big part in the suspension performance of the TTB, as well as check the ride height and use washers or spacers if needed to restore the front end height, so the suspension beams are farther away from the bump stops, allowing more front suspension travel, proper alignment, and a smoother, safer ride.

If your X is lifted even 2" you would you need a longer shock then a standard replacement shock is that correct. Its been so long ago when I got my Rancho adjustable but I think they were longer then standard for lifted suspensions.

Stock length shocks will work with a 2" lift at most.

You can get shocks made for the Explorer with 4" of lift, but anything around 2" or less doesn't need longer shocks.

Rather than get longer shocks for smaller lifts, just raise the lower mounting points of the shocks.

If you lift the suspension about 2", you can get (or make) custom spring plates/shock mounts in the rear that raises the lower mounting point 2", restoring droop and adding ground clearance, and the radius arms up front can be drilled out 2 inches higher than the stock mount, and a bolt-on mounting point used.

I'm reviving this thread again with some new information. I NEED to put new shocks on. I just found out that the suspension popping noise I have is the passenger side shock, it's loose fitting at the top. I could probably put new bushings in or tighten the nut but it's a temporary fix. I don't know if the hole is wallowed out or not, I'll cross that bridge later.

So, after more research, I'm going to ditch the idea of Monroe & Rancho after the advice from a long time parts guy that I respect and also from the info online. Looks like Monroe quality has gone down in the last decade or so. They're also part (or got bought out) of Tenneco, a growing conglomerate. That is a trendy thing happening in auto parts, brands are being bought up and the only thing that's cared about is profits.

Anyway, I'm now looking at KYB. They've been around a long time, they're OEM for foreign (mainly Japanese) cars and they're still the original deal. I don't want their bottom end Excel-G. I'm looking at the Gas-a-Just and MonoMax.

http://www.kyb.com/products/gas-a-just/
http://www.kyb.com/products/monomax/

My concern is that maybe the MonoMax are more for full size trucks that have heavy suspension and are towing. 98% of the time, I won't have a load, won't be towing. The MonoMax might be overkill and hurt the ride quality. Looking at the Gas-a-Just ones, I can get all 4 from RockAuto for $144 shipped and I'm pleased with that price.

Any reason I shouldn't go with the KYB Gas-a-Just's? I'm mostly looking for 70% pavement, 20% gravel with potholes and 10% offroad. I don't expect top notch performance and I'm not familiar with high end cars, I'm a slowly learning newbie.

*EDIT*
Went with the KYB Gas-A-Justs. Seems like a good unit. Also happened to come across some info earlier, after ordering. Les Schwab used to use Rancho & Monroe but switched to KYB in recent years.

Couple things to note with the KYB;

The fronts went on easily but I could not properly torque the top bolt. There's nothing to prevent the shock from spinning, no nut welded to the top like some shocks have. If I had a strap wrench, it probably would torque down. I got them tight enough that the bushings are squished a bit, it feels tight and looks good.

The fasteners that come with the rear shocks are garbage. I tried torquing them to 25ft lbs as per the Ford factory service manual and the bolt head started digging into the shock metal and upon removal to put a washer on (not included) I noticed the bolt had started to bend. Very soft metal. Got some grade 5's with washers on both sides, much more secure.

Aside from the fasteners in the rear, I'm also not sure how to easily get them into place. The shocks extend much further than the front ones and are harder to compress. A jack kind of works but you still have to squish them down enough to fit a jack underneath. I did not jack up the body of the car at all which probably would have helped. The reason I didn't do this was for safety since the e-brakes only affect the rear and I didn't feel comfortable just chocking the front.

Also, it looks like KYB or at least the Gas-A-Just line isn't made in Japan anymore but Malaysia. I'm not sure when this switch happened but all I found online was "Made in Japan".

All in all, it took longer than I thought and the rears were a real turd but it should be good to go for quite a while.

Just had to make a decision as well on shocks. My friend gave me part numbers for the Rancho 9000sxl. For all 4 they are almost $400. That was way to much for me. I called James Duff and got all 4 shocks at the correct length for $175 shipped. I like a softer shock. I bounce in a Semi truck all day, i want a smooth ride.

I almost got kyb monomax's.....

Monroe has been part of Tenneco for a long time now. Rancho has been Monroe's "off road" brand for a long time too.

Most shocks for the stud style end have a hex fitting recessed into the top of the stud. Use a hex socket or L-shaped hex key to hold the stud while fastening the nylock nut with a wrench.

As far as quality, Monroe's Sensatrac is a good shock for comfort. Their Reflex shocks are ok for nice shocks you can get at a lot of places.

KYB's Excel-G (formerly GR-2) shocks are still pretty good twin-tube shocks. Their Gas-a-just shocks are monotubes, so they ride firmer and perform a little better. Their MonoMax shock is their premium shock, so it's also a monotube design and gives the most damping for either on or off road.

I like KYB for applications where Bilstein doesn't make anything, but Bilstein shocks for a first gen are some of the best you can buy at retail for the money. They also have a lifetime warranty, so if you ever blow a shock you can just ship it to them and they will send you a new one. I had to do this not long ago and it was super easy, I received the new shock back a few days later.

Hard to go wrong with either Bilstein, KYB Monomax, or KYB Gas-a-just, they are all monotube shocks and will give good if not great performance. For those wanting smoother ride quality though, either the KYB Excel-G or Monroe Sensatracs would be my suggestion, the Sensatracs giving the smoothest ride even over the Excel-G.

I liked my Bilsteins, 4600's. I just switched to 5100's and they are much nicer. Still have a firm ride, but they seem to control hiway body lean and sway in offroad conditions better than the 4600's. They were 7 years old so that might be pat of the difference. Initially I like the Monroe Load adjusting shocks, but they didn't seem to last long and after one yeear, the rear felt soft and saggy.

I guess old shocks are just that old shocks! Most any new shock is better than a worn out shock, eh?. Time will tell if the 5100's are truly better than the 4600...?

Back