Recommendation for BEST Spark Plug Wire Set . . . . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommendation for BEST Spark Plug Wire Set . . . .

mr. Charles

Reaction score
City, State
P.N.W.
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' XLT 4x4
........am looking into changing the Spark Plug Wires upon my 96 Explorer XLT w 4.0L SOHC, [ have just bought a set of Autolite Platinum2 Plug's], and would like to get Best/Better set of wires for this application as well. Would appreciate any input/comment 's/SUGGESTION's of WHAT Brand i should look into:thumbsup: as well as What NOT to buy:eek:.........thnx in advance. . . . . .

mr. Charles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

+1 for Magnecor plug wires.:thumbsup:

Stock ignition system = Stock replacement wire set
Upgraded ignition system = Performance wires

You will not gain anything by using performance wires on a stock ignition system.

I 2nd the motion for Magencore, they are the best I have used and I have used many over the last 20 years.

I have a stock ignition so I use the 8mm Electrocore wires, direct replacement for Ford 8mm stock wires.

These wires even support higher voltage upgraded systems like the screamin Demon coil or MSD DIS 3.

I swapped out plugs three times with these wires in place and never a problem.

Can't be beat for $59 a set.

Magnecore are the Guru's of spark plug wires.

The wires made by Performance distributors are supposed to be very good also.

Choose wires based on the vehicle's usage for you. I have the best(Magnecor) on my keeper, and Ford wires on my stock work vehicle. Buy the cheap parts store wires for something that you are about to sell, they do not last long(warantee or not).

If you're gonna change them every 100,000 miles, there's no reason not to use Motorcraft wires. They work well, and last 100,000 miles easily on a stock vehicle.

........am looking into changing the Ignition Wire Set upon my 96 Explorer XLT w 4.0L SOHC, [ have just bought a set of Autolite Platinum2 Plug's], and would like to get Best/Better set of wires for this application as well. Would appreciate any input/comment 's/SUGGESTION's of WHAT Brand i should look into:thumbsup: as well as What NOT to buy:eek:.........thnx in advance. . . . . .

mr. Charles

If you want to economize but you're hesitant to use the Duralast wires, check out Napa's Belden wires.

If you want to economize but you're hesitant to use the Duralast wires, check out Napa's Belden wires.

im sure he has changed them by now since the thread is 2yrs old:p:

Used Jacobs wires. So far so good. Went for price-they were on clearance many moons ago. Finally got around to replacing them a few months ago. Stock Motorcrafts were still running fine and they were 15 years old... Would definitely consider Motorcrafts or Magnecor as replacements in another 15 years!

My motorcraft wires worked great also for the first 8 years of ownership, then the dealer replaced the plugs for me and went one better by pulling off the plug wires by the wire not the boot, causing the filament to break.

Great way to get an extra $170 out of an honest customer.:rant:

Beware of this trick and change the plugs and wires yourself if you can....

Always grab the wires by the boot and twist off or use spark plug pliers.

My Magnecore Electrocore wires have well over 100k mi and still look brand new! Can't beat them for $59- build quality is incredible

Back