Recommendation for Receiver/Hitch for 2001 Explorer Sport (4WD) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommendation for Receiver/Hitch for 2001 Explorer Sport (4WD)

I'm looking for a receiver/hitch for my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport (4WD)... I can't seem to find any comprehensive reviews/comparisons on the web so if anyone knows of a good website I'd appreciate any referrals as well.

As far as I can tell at the present moment I would like to get a 2" Class III/!V hitch... at the moment it is just to mount a bike rack (overkill probably) but I figure something a bit more sturdy might prove handy later on down the line if I need to tow.

On that note... I heard a rumour that towing with the Explorer Sports could be hazardous to the transmission (heard from a friend who used to work for UHaul and claimed that the company stopped selling hitches to Explorer owners b/c the transmission could handle the extra load of the UHaul trailers)... is there any truth to this?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Curt hitch has been great so far (~3 yrs). I tow trailers with it almost weekly with zero hitch related problems. The hitch only has a couple small spots of surface rust where the powdercoat scraped off.

I had a Hidden Hitch on my Dakota, and it started rusting within a couple of months. Paint was bubbling and falling off after 1 year. I'm sure they are available with powdercoating now though....seems like everything is these days.

767156_60_full.jpg

i got my reese class 3 at tractor supply for $120ish i believe it was on sale. it bolted right up and is somewhat hidden so i think it was a good buy

Reese Class III, paid $90 at Cummins Tool in 2002, I had to finish drilling two of the bolt holes so I could mount it. The info that I got with it says it will not work with 16" spare tire. Am very pleased with it. It has held up very well.

I am sure U Hual will no longer rent to explorers at all for insurance reasons.

I have had two experiences with a load not properly strapped and shifting in transit. Both times the trailer was visible in my side mirrors. Its amazing how fast you can have a 4 lane highway to yourself when your trailer is slinging lane to lane.

Both time the swaying was stopped by flooring the gas pedal.

..............On that note... I heard a rumour that towing with the Explorer Sports could be hazardous to the transmission (heard from a friend who used to work for UHaul and claimed that the company stopped selling hitches to Explorer owners b/c the transmission could handle the extra load of the UHaul trailers)... is there any truth to this?

Thanks!

UHaul just doesn't want anything to do with Explorers anymore. They stopped renting to Explorers because of some major lawsuits involving rollover accidents. The major lawsuit I can remember was driver error including driving drunk, but the people still blamed it on everyone else they could...and won a ton of money.

The transmission is a weak point, but will be OK if you take care of it. Don't beat the hell out of it from every light. Don't pull more weight than the truck is rated for. Make sure your trans has an external cooler in front of the radiator. Add an external filter if you are able to. Keep up with your trans maintenance, adjustments, etc.

I didn't listen to the above recommendations and had to rebuild my trans last month. In the process, I added the extra stuff and I'll be taking it easier from now on....try to anyway.

Thanks much for the reply.

I've found a bunch of retailers for the Curt III/IV but I'm unclear from some of the descriptions on some if they can be mounted alongside my spare. I think a class III receiver will be sufficient however is there a specific model of Curt receiver you'd recommend?

The transmission is a weak point, but will be OK if you take care of it. Don't beat the hell out of it from every light. Don't pull more weight than the truck is rated for. Make sure your trans has an external cooler in front of the radiator. Add an external filter if you are able to. Keep up with your trans maintenance, adjustments, etc.

I didn't listen to the above recommendations and had to rebuild my trans last month. In the process, I added the extra stuff and I'll be taking it easier from now on....try to anyway.

Are external coolers and filters for the transmission standard for 2001 Explorer Sport 4x4s and if not is there some kind of kit that I can use to add these myself (or is this work that needs to be done in a shop)?

I have the model that fits with the 16" wheels/30" tires. It doesn't tuck under as much as some others do, but looks good enough.

The '01+ Sport 4x4s came with an external cooler, but half the cooler is blocked by the bumper. Not sure how much that affects trans cooling, but I doubt it is optimal. I'd like to move mine up a few inches into open air, but haven't got around to it.

The remote filter is an aftermarket kit that mounts up near the trans cooler. Kinda looks like an engine oil filter. You could probably add it yourself if you have a few tools.

I'm looking on the JCWhitney.com site that was suggested above:

Just get whatever fits your budget. Example:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/CURT-CLASS...1914_N_111+2001+200729949+600002360_10101.jcw

I've use a Curt hitch reciever behind my E-350 van to tow my Explorer to trails (~5k lbs for the Explorer plus another 2k lbs for the trailer) and it has held up so far.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the (latter) two Curt Class III receivers that are listed for the 2-dr Explorer Sport... specifically, the former is listed as "No drilling required"...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...1757015/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000036274711757015

...and the latter is "Incl. OverSized Spare":

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...1757131/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:10000036277411757131

I have a regular 16" spare (full sized spare, but not oversized?) so should I be considering the former "No drilling required" hitch receiver?

Lastly, regarding the remote transmission filter suggested by SilverX, is this the kind of kit I should be looking for:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=explorer+remote+filter

... and do I need one specific to an 2-dr Explorer 4x4?

Thanks!

The optional 16" wheel has a larger diameter tire than the standard 15" wheel. Tires are 30" OD vs ~28". Your 16" spare matches the diameter of the rest of your wheels and tires, so I guess is considered "oversized" compared to the standard 15" spare.

That filter kit would be fine, since there isn't a specific kit for Explorers. I got this kit without a gauge:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...part=SUM-G4980&N=700+-119951+115&autoview=sku

Cool, so I guess I should go with the "Incl. Oversized Spare" hitch after all...

I've done some minor maintenance on my Explorer (installed K/N air filter and replaced the fuel filter and helped a friend replace the starter... had I know how difficult the starter was going to be due to the 4x4 then I might have considered paying a mechanic) do you think I should attempt to install the receiver hitch myself or would it be wiser to have it done in a shop.

What about the filter kit... are they difficult to install (the instruction .pdf for the Summit looks daunting) or should I just pay someone?

Stupid noob question: How do I figure out the gear ratios (3.27, 3.55, 3.73 or 4.1) for my Explorer and if I need to tow a heavier load (say 2500lbs+) should I start it in 4x4 low then switch to rear wheel drive or should I be running in 4x4 high instead...?

Lastly, everyone (SilverX in particular), before I forget, thanks SO much for the advice... your responses have been a great help to me.

Thanks!!!

The filter usually isn't all that difficult to install. You will have to remove the front bumper cover though, which may or may not be easy. Depends on how rusty the fasteners are. All but two of my bolts broke off because they were completely rusted. It was also a little tough to find a place to mount the filter kit, where you can still get hand access to change the filter. I put mine on the passenger side behind the metal bumper. It is directly in front of the air filter area. To change the trans filter, I have to remove the small plastic fenderwell shield under it, then reach up.

BTW, make sure you get the correct hoses for trans fluid use, or get the kit that includes hoses. Also make sure you pay attention to the fluid flow direction. The adapter is marked for inlet and outlet.

I know what you mean about that starter. I had to remove mine a few weeks ago to get the transmission out. What a PITA! That was one of the most time consuming parts of the whole job. Probably should've put in a new starter in while I had it out.

When towing a trailer, just start out in 2wd. You shouldn't have to do anything special unless you're in snow or something. I wouldn't recommend driving in 4wd (high or low) on clean, dry pavement with or without the trailer. You can get driveline bind and possibly damage the transfer case.

Missed the gear ratio question....

The sticker on your door jamb has a code for it.
This link has the tag codes: http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

There is also a tag on the rear differential cover that has a code on it.

One more thing.

Welcome to the site!:D

People here are pretty easy going and always willing to help. I know I've learned alot here.

If you don't see what you need right away, use the search function. Most things have been covered many times, so chances are good that you'll find what you need without waiting for someone to respond.

Back