recommendations for headlight assemblies? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

recommendations for headlight assemblies?

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
looking to get new headlight assemblies, perferaably black (not smoked) projector style that I can put LED bulbs inside.

I found this from spyder which i hear is a good brand

this says it comes with h1 bulbs for high and low, but my X uses 9005 bulbs...so would i be able to put 9005 LED bulbs in it? Or will my explorer connector take an h1 led bulb?

Also i got a brush guard, would i need to take it off to install the assemblies? its been on for like 20 years so i feel like if i took it off i wouldnt be able to put it back on lol

planning to get it installed at a body shop regardless, just hoping this plan works out

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your headlight bulbs are 9007 not 9005 and the H1 bulb will not work. There are members on here who have done the conversion but you'll have to search the forum for it.

Edit:
Here is the link to the conversion...

Your headlight bulbs are 9007 not 9005 and the H1 bulb will not work. There are members on here who have done the conversion but you'll have to search the forum for it.

Edit:
Here is the link to the conversion...

yeah my bad I meant 9007.

Btw looking at your sig you have a 2006 Ford GT? That's pretty baller!

Also how is that is that CTS V? 640 hp luxury sedan sounds fun as hell!

Also wow over 600k miles on your X? You drove a lot!

I mean, I went with Anzo's headlights. It's a black frame but a clear lens. Look nice and work well, they do swap the low beam to H3 and the high beam to H1 bulbs. But it comes with them as well, already in the headlight assembly. So it's pretty much plug and play, only bulb you'll keep stock is the blinker bulb. Had them since January this year and had no issues yet.

20210730_125636.jpg

20210730_125643.jpg

20210730_141405.jpg

Now color that light bar yellow and call it a day

Looks good!

Now color that light bar yellow and call it a day

Looks good!
I have thought about that, but honestly I'm fine with how it is at the moment. Especially since I work at night so I don't often get to use it much these days anyway. But maybe eventually though

looking to get new headlight assemblies, perferaably black (not smoked) projector style that I can put LED bulbs inside.

I found this from spyder which i hear is a good brand

this says it comes with h1 bulbs for high and low, but my X uses 9005 bulbs...so would i be able to put 9005 LED bulbs in it? Or will my explorer connector take an h1 led bulb?

Also i got a brush guard, would i need to take it off to install the assemblies? its been on for like 20 years so i feel like if i took it off i wouldnt be able to put it back on lol

planning to get it installed at a body shop regardless, just hoping this plan works out
Probably have to take the brush guard off or at least the headlight guards (if yours are bolted on like mine). I just unbolt the headlight guards and I have full headlight access, without taking the whole dang guard off. Honestly I did mine in less than an hour, no issues, saves a few bucks from taking it to a shop too. But whatever you're comfortable with, can never be too careful, especially with electrical crap lol

I have the Westin brush guard so I can just remove the headlight guards to clean and remove the headlights. The smoked color looks nice on the Explorer.

Back