Recommendations for replacement CD player | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommendations for replacement CD player

froglady99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2003 XLT V8
I have a 2003 Explorer XLT with a factory 6-CD changer. After having repeated problems with the CD changer, I've decided that it's probably time to just replace it. Since there are so many replacement CD players out there, I'd like recommendations from those of you who have installed new ones.

I want something that has AM/FM radio and plays both CDs and USB flash drives. I also want a clock display. I would prefer it to have controls that are similar to the CD player I currently have, although that's not absolutely necessary. Since I'm on a budget, it will have to cost less than $150. If you know of anything that would meet my needs, please let me know. Thanks!

Sabrina

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look into Kenwoods DPX series, like a DPX501BT.
Mainly, it's a double DIN chassis, so it'll fill the hole. Looks a lot cleaner than having some stupid plastic tray below/above a single DIN replacement.

Check out Crutchfield, they're great for listing specs and comparing. You may get a better price on Amazon, but not after you buy all the needed parts that Crutchfield includes.

When you look at sound quality, Kenwood comes in ahead most of the time. I used to be a Pioneer fan, but not anymore.

Edit: my Ex came with a Kenwood SDIN in it. To me it just stands out as 'not stock' like a sore thumb. For the same price could of had a DDIN. Don't know if stereo theft is still a thing or not, but something to consider.

Yes, check with Crutchfield -- great phone help, good internet, and knowledge. If you get a double din unit, ask if the dash needs any cutting away. I went with the single din, and have the single tray. I don't mind the looks at all, but the tray isn't much use. The nice thing about the single din I got is that is has the removeable faceplate -- less chance of theft. And Crutchfield sends you everything you need.

ADD: I had a $500 Blaupunkt stolen from my vehicle while playing softball. It was code protected so when you disconnect the electrical supply, you then need the code to be able to use the unit. They got the unit, I got the shaft, but hopefully they couldn't use the unit either.
And I've had my vehicle stolen a couple of times, so not having the stereo show makes me hope the thieves will pick another vehicle to steal and joy ride with or strip it.

I got a pioneer mixtrax single-din and it works great for i believe $130 or less. Easy to use with equalizers for the music, flashing screen when you want that goes along with bass or sound, usb slot, aux slot, and cd.

CD player or USB is already obsolete, A2DP or bluetooth pairing with your smart phone is the way to go. I have both the 2 DIN pioneer and jvc installed on my cars and they are really good budget head units ($130-$150)

FH-X700BT - $134 in amazon ($149 in crutchfield)
JVC KW-R910BT - $101 in amazon ($139 in crutchfield)

I installed the pioneer on lincoln ls and the jvc on my lincoln continental. If you want to preserve the steering controls add maybe $50-$60 for the extra adapter. When buying in amazon note that it doesn't have the wiring harness adapter included, so the extra charge in crutchfield is worth it (plus the instructions and trim)

What problems have you had with pioneer? I've got nothing but love for their headunits so far. :D

What problems have you had with pioneer? I've got nothing but love for their headunits so far. :D

If you compare their sound specs (not their gimmicks like screen color and built in EQ etc) you'll see that Kenwood is better.

I was always a Pioneer fan until I looked at the sound quality differences. Perhaps we can't audibly detect these differences, don't know.

Crutchfield's a good place to line up head-units to compare specs.

And you need to understand the numbers (I've long forgot) but sometimes a higher number is better, while at other times a lower number is better.

CD player or USB is already obsolete, A2DP or bluetooth pairing with your smart phone is the way to go.

Not sure what A2DP is, but until a head-unit can accept and play 'lossless' formats, none are good.

I replaced my stock 6 disc changer with the Pioneer FH-X720BT head unit and love it. It was $139 at crutchfield. It has USB on front and rear, Bluetooth pairing for calls and music, CD/MP3 and other stuff. I've had it for about 6 months and it works well for what I do, which is stream radio through it from my iPhone and play the occasional tunes on my phone. I think it's a good deal for a budget unit. It's also double DIN, so it is a direct replacement for the stock unit. Make sure you get the installation kit that has the correct wiring harness.

I don't like the fact that I can't use the rear DVD system anymore, but you don't have any choice, unless you replace it with a stock head unit.

Good luck whatever you decide!

I have the 6 CD also but it's no longer working. If I wanted to keep it simple, could I switch that out for the stock 1 CD base unit? Would the subwoofer still work? Thanks.

Seriously, Crutchfield.com, contact them, they have a toll free number, you can ask them questions, they have the answers for whatever model your vehicle is and whatever model stereo equipment you want. I've used them for home stereo and car stereo. Helpful, knowledgeable, and lifetime free support for as long as you own whatever you purchased.

I have the 6 CD also but it's no longer working. If I wanted to keep it simple, could I switch that out for the stock 1 CD base unit? Would the subwoofer still work? Thanks.

The stock subwoofer amp and subwoofer will work with just about any head unit you want to use that has the preamp and subwoofer connections. Most big name makers have these connections.

The only reason you would want the stock head unit is if you have the rear entertainment dvd system and want to keep using it. If you don't have the rear dvd system, then any good head unit will work great with the rest of your sound system.

Thanks for all the advice! I decided to go with the Kenwood DPX501BT. It should be here in a couple days, and I'm hoping to install it on Friday. I can't wait to listen to CDs again! The radio is better than nothing, but I'd rather listen to my own music or audiobooks.

Sabrina

Take some pictures of it installed. I've been looking at that series too.

Is there a replacement that can still use the steering wheel controls?

We just bought the Kenwood DPX501BT but have not installed it yet. We also got the PAC-SWI steering wheel interface adapter. This will retain the ability to control the unit from the steering wheel.

Thanks for all the advice! I decided to go with the Kenwood DPX501BT. It should be here in a couple days, and I'm hoping to install it on Friday.
Have you had it installed yet? I didn't see this thread before I made my purchase from Crutchfield on Thursday. I previously changed out the stock 6 CD changer in '08 for a Pioneer single DIN. I've been wanting something with bluetooth and to be able to control Pandora directly on the console, so I stumbled across the Kenwood KDC-BT362U, which is what I purchased. Unlike Number4, I don't mind the "stupid plastic tray below/above" the single DIN. ;) I like having it as a place to put my Altoids and gum.

I finally got it installed today! One thing Crutchfield didn't include in the "things you need to install" was wire connectors, and it took me several days to figure out which ones to use. I read good and bad things about every type of connector, it seems, so I finally decided to just pick one. I used 3M heat shrink butt connectors. Not having used heat shrink before, I thought I could just use a hair dryer, but it took way too long. So I bought one of those long lighters that's used for grills and stuff, and it worked really well. Once I got the wire harnesses connected, installing the CD player was easy.

I didn't have much time to test it out, but I did try playing a CD and listening to the radio, and the sound is really good. Once I try out more of the features, I'll let you know how it's working. For now, I'm just excited to finally have it installed and be able to finish listening to my audiobook that I was right in the middle of when the old CD player messed up again.

Sabrina

:ttiwwp:

Glad you got it in and like it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finally got it installed today! One thing Crutchfield didn't include in the "things you need to install" was wire connectors, and it took me several days to figure out which ones to use. I read good and bad things about every type of connector, it seems, so I finally decided to just pick one. I used 3M heat shrink butt connectors. Not having used heat shrink before, I thought I could just use a hair dryer, but it took way too long. So I bought one of those long lighters that's used for grills and stuff, and it worked really well. Once I got the wire harnesses connected, installing the CD player was easy.
Glad you like your new system so far! I also started installing my unit last night. I too was surprised when I didn't see any wire connectors included in the package, so I had to get wire connectors from Lowe's. After connecting all the proper wires, I did a dry run of the head unit to make sure it was all working properly before I completely installed it. Worked great. But then right before I was about to put the unit in, I realized I still had to attach the bluetooth mic. How/where did you run the cord? After watching some youtube videos, I'll probably put the mic up by the rearview mirror and tuck the cord along the headliner. Hard part will be to get the cord under the dash and through to the back of the unit.

Back