Recommendations for Timing Kit (too cheap for OEM) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recommendations for Timing Kit (too cheap for OEM)

JDMAC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I'm getting a mechanic friend to do my timing chains and am not going to go with the OEM parts. They are just to much. I've searched around and found that the cloyes parts seems to be the next best thing. I've been looking on Ebay and can't find any kits that mention that name. The 3 spring vs. 6 spring tensioner is also something I'm having trouble differentiating from the pics. And none of the ads mention which they use.

I was hoping someone who has bought these before could point me in the right direction to a high quality timing kit. I did find the autoparts4USA kit...http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Timing-Chain-Kit-Ford-4-0L-SOHC-97-06-9-0398S-76117-/270794491007?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f0c9c047f The price is good and I read that at least one person on the site has used it.

I'm also going to be having the water pump and plugs/wires changed. Recommendations for those would be awesome too!

JD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Still in the research stage myself, so no conclusive info.

For what it might be worth I did contact Cloyes support and they said theirs are from the same company that supplies ford and have all the lastest mods applied.

I purchased my parts from Rockauto (shipped to Australia) and they have a discount code you can locate for the explorerforum. Worth looking at.

timing chain parts

I was told by a Cloyes technical support engineer that their kits included guide assemblies made by the same manufacturer that makes the OEM units. I purchased one for evaluation purposes and found that they were made by Borg Warner and were not the same as OEM. See thread: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Parts Sources

JDMAC: It is easy to recognize the later primary tensioner by the base. The one shown in the 4USA listing on eBay is the later 6 leaf unit. That kit does not include the jackshaft front and rear sprocket retaining bolts and the harmonic balancer bolt which are torque-to-yield and should not be reused. If you purchase them individually you'll probably have to get them from Ford. Part numbers can be found at this thread: SOHC V6 Timing Chain Related PNs

Does your mechanic friend have the OTC 6488 timing tool kit and has he used it successfully before? Some shops with the tool kit but not familiar with the engine have still timed the camshafts 180 degrees out causing valve destruction on engine start. The 4USA kit has a 30 day refund warranty or lifetime ownership replacement warranty but only for defective parts. If you purchase it I suggest that you have your mechanic inspect the guide assemblies thoroughly before installing them. If they seem satisfactory please report that on my parts source thread. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply on those bolts. I'll look at getting them from ford.

He is a mechanic at the Dodge Dealer in town and is borrowing the tool set from someone he knows at the Ford Dealer. I hope he knows the proper timing setup, with #1 cylinder at TDC right? I shouldn't assume he does but I don't want to sound like a jerk telling him how to do his job. I think I'll order the 4USA kit and get the water pump/axle seals locally.

One other question. While he has the engine pulled, is there anything else that I should have him look at/change out? The engine has approx. 115,000 miles/185,000KM. And I had the tranny rebuilt about 5000 kms ago.

Hopefully after this all the major issues will be dealt with and it'll be a solid truck for another 200,000kms.

Just to double check. The three bolts would be...

Jackshaft rear sprocket bolt - W7031675430
Crankshaft bolt harmonic balancer - E7RY6A340B
Jackshaft Sprocket Bolt - F77Z6M264BA

Thanks again!

Incorrect PN

Just to double check. The three bolts would be...

Jackshaft rear sprocket bolt - W7031675430
Crankshaft bolt harmonic balancer - E7RY6A340B
Jackshaft Sprocket Bolt - F77Z6M264BA

Thanks again!
I just checked the current validity of the part numbers on TascaParts.com and TousleyFordParts.com

Jackshaft rear sprocket bolt - W703167S430 $4.95
Crankshaft bolt harmonic balancer - E7RY6A340B $5.44
Jackshaft Sprocket Bolt - F77Z6M264BA is no longer available as a separate item. It has been superseded by part number 2U3Z6M264AA ($66.70) which appears to be a jackshaft front sprocket parts kit. Check with your local Ford dealer to see if you can still get just the bolt.

If you didn't replace the rear main seal when the transmission was out and the seal is leaking then replacing it when the engine is out is a good idea.

hmm do I need the whole 2U3Z6M264AA parts kit? It's $200+ at my local dealer. But when I told the parts lady I just needed the bolt she told me it was 2L2Z6279AA as just a single bolt. Could you confirm that is the correct one?

Jackshaft Sprocket Bolt - F77Z6M264BA is no longer available as a separate item. It has been superseded by part number 2U3Z6M264AA ($66.70) which appears to be a jackshaft front sprocket parts kit. Check with your local Ford dealer to see if you can still get just the bolt.

If you didn't replace the rear main seal when the transmission was out and the seal is leaking then replacing it when the engine is out is a good idea.

I had a tranny shop do the rebuild, and I haven't had any leaks. So I think I should be good there.

Oh and since your already here and helping me out. haha. What "odds and ends" will need replacement. Coolant, oil, etc?

I have a Borg Warner timing chain set for sale Here

just the bolt

hmm do I need the whole 2U3Z6M264AA parts kit? It's $200+ at my local dealer. But when I told the parts lady I just needed the bolt she told me it was 2L2Z6279AA as just a single bolt. Could you confirm that is the correct one?

Thanks for providing the new jackshaft front sprocket retaining bolt PN (2L2Z6279AA). I'll update my list. The cost is $5.89 from Tasca and Tousley. I've read in one of my engine rebuilding books that chains and their associated gears should be replaced as a set for maximum life. Apparently, wear patterns develop between the gear and the chain. That may be one reason that the left and right cassettes now are only sold by Ford as an assembly and the primary components are available as a kit. However, in your case I would not spend the money to buy the primary jackshaft sprocket unless it is damaged. In my opinion, the gears and chains are built to last 500,000 miles.

Oh and since your already here and helping me out. haha. What "odds and ends" will need replacement. Coolant, oil, etc?

If you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the 2005 Mustang SOHC V6 assembly instructions. They were quite helpful to me and you can give them to your mechanic with the timing chain parts.

I PM'd you.

Thanks again! I've got everything I need. Now hopefully the kit arrives when they said it would, and I'll have my truck ready for holidays!

:roll: How come the only red ex smiley is a roll over??? ;)

One bloody thing after another. After making the changes (behind schedule) mechanic guy said it wouldn't start, thinks he had the timing off slightly. He's sure it didn't have any contact with the valves and that nothing is permanently damaged. Said he would have heard knocking if it was hitting the valves. So he has to remove the cover and redo the timing. This morning he messages me and says that the crankshaft bolt broke, obviously needing replacement. Has he F*ed up my engine now? Could the timing set wrong caused the bolt to break?

broken crankshaft bolt

If the timing kit tools were used correctly the only way to time the camshafts slightly off is if the crankshaft was not positioned correctly to TDC. The camshafts are normally timed after the harmonic balancer is installed. There would be no reason to remove the harmonic balancer retaining bolt to retime the engine a second time. If the bolt broke while trying to rotate the crankshaft to TDC then I suspect something was binding internally. One possibility is a piston pushing against a valve.

Some mechanics not familiar with the engine have misinterpreted the timing instructions and timed the camshafts 180 degrees off. The crankshaft should not be rotated from the time the right camshaft is timed and the left camshaft is timed. The engine will sometimes start but run poorly with the camshafts out 180 degrees. Also, the right camshaft retaining bolt loosens clockwise and tightens counterclockwise.

What is the quality of the camshaft guide assemblies in the kit you received from 4USA?

Back