• Register Today It's free!

Recover Console Cover?

mowfixer

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 2WD
Has anyone tried to put a new cover on a worn out console cover? Mine has new cracks every day. Thought it might be possible to put a new vinyl piece on it>

Any Ideas or is a bone yard the best bet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just recovered mine recently with a kit from Ebay, the grain and color were a perfect match. I hit the junkyards first and ALL the good armrests had been taken, the only ones left were cracked and broken ones so I wouldn't waste my time with that (but I did find a good recliner lever while I was there). Just be sure you take your time with the kit and stretch the vinyl over the front of the armrest tight to eliminate wrinkles, the rest is pretty easy. And make sure you have a decent staple gun with short enough staples so they don't go too far through the armrest and puncture the vinyl on the other side. I did it with a cheap ass staple gun and had to use a million staples because it wasn't powerful enough to penetrate the plastic armrest easily. Anyway it looks perfect now, you can't tell it has been recovered and the vinyl is much softer that stock and cost less than $20 to do.

I just recovered mine recently with a kit from Ebay, the grain and color were a perfect match. I hit the junkyards first and ALL the good armrests had been taken, the only ones left were cracked and broken ones so I wouldn't waste my time with that. Just be sure you take your time with the kit and stretch the vinyl over the front of the armrest tight to eliminate wrinkles, the rest is pretty easy. And make sure you have a decent staple gun with short enough staples so they don't go too far through the armrest and puncture the vinyl on the other side. I did it with a cheap ass staple gun and had to use a million staples because it wasn't powerful enough to penetrate the plastic armrest easily. Anyway it looks perfect now, you can't tell it has been recovered and the vinyl is much softer that stock and cost less than $20 to do.

I agree
Not only is the color a perfect match, the piece is die cut for you, and, there are detailed instructions. Whenever a person comes up with a good fix, for a reasonable price, I think it is our duty to support it. :thumbsup:

Its done

Well than ks for the links to the step by step instructions. My wife wanted to go to a fabric store so while I was there I looked at vinyl. Well they had high end product in the exact color. Cost me $6 for a square yard (wife wants the rest fior her use)

Now for the process. I tried staple after staple after staple after >>>>> you get the idea and even with my electric stapler they just bent over. So I remembered someone use 3M spray adhesive so I decided to give that a try. SUCCESS! I now have the cover redone and back in the sport. Wow, looks like new again.

I will say maybe $180 from the dealer isn't such a bad deal because this process is the pits. I would rather pull my motor. Oh well, its done now and should outlive the rest of my Sport!1

Thanks all for your advice.

Back