How to: - Recover your Center Console (10 Steps) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Recover your Center Console (10 Steps)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
If your center console is ripped, falling apart, etc. it is really quite easy and inexpensive to just recover it yourself.

CIMG5249.jpg

Step One:
Remove the three screws at the bottom of the lid.
CIMG5250.jpg

Step Two:
Find a nice area to work on.
CIMG5251.jpg

Step Three:
Flip the lid over and remove all the screws and remove the black pastic lid.
CIMG5252.jpg

CIMG5253.jpg

Step Four:
Remove all the staples currently holding the vinyl on.
CIMG5255.jpg

CIMG5256.jpg

CIMG5257.jpg

CIMG5258.jpg

Step Five:
Remove the vinyl from the armrest.
CIMG5259.jpg

Step Six:
Spread old vinyl over your new vinyl and trace.
CIMG5260.jpg

CIMG5261.jpg

CIMG5262.jpg

CIMG5263.jpg

Step Seven:
Cut relief cuts near the front edges.
CIMG5264.jpg

CIMG5265.jpg

Step Eight:
Start on one side and staple the edge down. Then stretch over to the opposite side and staple again. Keep stretching to the opposite side inorder to get a nice tight cover going on. :cool:
CIMG5266.jpg

CIMG5267.jpg

Step Nine:
Place black plastic back on and gently screw the screws back down.
CIMG5268.jpg

CIMG5269.jpg

Step Ten:
Screw it back onto the console and you're done. :cool:
CIMG5270.jpg

CIMG5271.jpg

Now if you really try you can probably find a gray/tan etc that is pretty right on with your interior color. I wasn't too worried about it. Also, I think I spent about $12 on vinyl for about 5 lids or so. So it's very very cheap.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well I recoved mine the week I got my truck and when I stapeld it to the lid the plastic cracked and got all jacked up, so I need a lid but all the junkyards around here have no more. Everyone I know with and EX the lid is always messed up from your elbow.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Anyone who's done this, what kind of staples and gun did you use? Section, i see you have a craftsman, can i get more info on it? I have an old craftsman gun that uses 9/16" tall x 0.5" wide heavy duty staples, but they can't penetrate the plastic, they just bend. :rolleyes: These staples are also a lot fatter than the small staples holding on the original vinyl. Could you tell me if they are T-50 crown, T-21 crown,....or whatever crown they are?

Can anyone that did this help me?

hey sorry no one on here replied to ya. i used t-50 and I didnt have any problems. just be careful because the plastic will crack a little. i was fortunate that i got mine to come out pretty good.

heres my final result as seen in a previous post:

31597910057_medium.jpg

hope i helped.

In my case I couldn't find the staples, so I just used a high quality spray adhesive all around the edges. This has held up just fine for me. Good luck with your repair.

Thanks both of you. For some reason staples just wont work, i was thinking about spray adhesive instead...what kind did you use? I was thinking about 3M Super77.

That is what I used. Just remember that once you "Stick It...It is Stuck Tight" and as with any adhesive it will be all over your fingers so be careful with what you touch.

I am just guessing here but if you warm the plastic a little maybe it would not crack. :scratch::dunno:

idk dude. if you want then go for it. when i did armrest i just stapled the crap out of it and it turned out fine. but dont do what I do because its always wrong. :p:

I did the same thing with my console. I found the vinyl at Jo-Ann Fabrics (~$7.50 for a section cut from the bolt of vinyl). I used black to contrast with the seat and it matches the black portions of the dash perfect. Rather than staples, I used a clear box tape that is hidden by the bottom plastic panel. Simple job - great results.

how to recover center console help wanted

I am wanting to recover my center console, but am wondering where i could get the foam under the vinyl? my elbow has pretty much dug a hole down to the plastic, any help would be appreciated!

A fabric store should carry the foam in the thickness you are looking for.:)

Very interesting and impressive write-up!! ;)

Was just starting to look for a new console cover. Didn't even cross my mind to redo it.
Thanks

I think I'm going to get a blue one to match my interior lighting :)

Btw, where can i get the material?

Just finished repairing console. The stapleing was a B****!!!!!!!!!!!!! jeez i must have been doing something wrong

I had mine re-covered a few years ago by an upholsterer. His cover was starting to crack, and this time I tried it myself. He used glue, which (along with age, I'm sure) appears to have compromised the plastic - it's brittle and many of the screw holes were crumbling. I got a new cover on and the screws back in, but I probably did about a "C+" job and I really doubt the plastic will survive much longer.

here's my console recovery job:

DSCN0445-1.jpg

not the best job ever but I plan on doing it again

Recovering console lid

I am having same problem with staples- will BARELY penetrate the plastic. With 90% of the staple still sticking out, will this not prevent you from securing the black plastic piece with the screws?
(Incidentally, I picked up vinyl from an auto upholstery shop that matches my original to perfection- only problem is that it cost me $15 for enough to cover 1 lid. However, the dude that sold it to me said he gets $75 all day long to recover one himself).
Any advice on the staples/stapler? I don't want to purchase or have access to electric stapler.

Well, "dudes" can tell you whatever they want. If he really can get $75 for a 10-minute job and $2 of raw materials, then he is a business genius.

But the fact is, that you can buy a "kit" on eBay for under $15, which is little more than that same $2 of raw material, cut to the correct shape.

For $8 at a JoAnn Fabric Store, I bought enough material to cover mine at least 3 times over. Maybe 4 times. Same stuff that an upholstery shop would use.

If you are having trouble with staples, you might try glue. Or some very small and short screws.

Back