Recurring Engine Light- $2000 and still coming on... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Recurring Engine Light- $2000 and still coming on...

bdellinger01

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
Has anybody else had this problem?
I have an 06 V6 Explorer with 135k miles. The check engine light keeps coming on. We have so far replaced the EGR valve, clean out the hose that feeds it, replaced the pigtail wiring that supplies the mass air sensor and the sensor itself. I have been to both my AAA approved mechanic and the Ford dealership and now both are at a loss. This issue is turning into a money pit. Has anybody else been through this and gotten resolution? Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are the check next engine codes?

What are the check next engine codes?
Last time it was throwing off all kinds of codes. When they replaced the mass air sensor, it looked stable, but within a half-hour of driving, the check engine light went back on again. I have to go in AGAIN to get a new reading.

Vacuum leak on intake snorkel (from the air filter on)? Does it idle okay?

I would suggest spending a little cash on a scan tool of your own. A scanguage II will pay for itself over time, and there are even less expensive models. Without a trouble code to work from, all suggestions in this thread are pure speculation.

Do not throw any more money into parts. Use it instead on a tool which will save your cash and sanity.

Change your fuel filter, I had similar issues and after replacing a few parts here and there it went way after I replaced the god knows how old fuel filter to a high quality American made filter. No more rough idles, better acceleration and no more check engine light. The only code it ever threw was the small evap leak though.

My 06 4.0 would not idle that good but could live with it.
Found a vacuum line disconnected under the air intake snorkel. It attached to a small plastic cylinder.
Idle is good now and also seafoam the intake with the straw.
Something easy to check anyway.

I would suggest spending a little cash on a scan tool of your own. A scanguage II will pay for itself over time, and there are even less expensive models. Without a trouble code to work from, all suggestions in this thread are pure speculation.

Do not throw any more money into parts. Use it instead on a tool which will save your cash and sanity.

Do this. You can buy a bluetooth OBD2 adapter off of Amazon for 13 dollars, download the Forscan app to your phone for 5 dollars, and read every code that a Ford will throw.

Back