Red Cone and Keystone Gulch (pics- oh yeah!) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Red Cone and Keystone Gulch (pics- oh yeah!)

2TimingTom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
9/30/2012

To cap off September, I organized a 4wheeling trip with the usual bunch of guys- theluke19 was there for part of it (I'll let him explain the rest of that story).

We tackled Red Cone and then down Webster Pass and into Keystone to do Keystone Gulch.

The H1 spent most of the day doing this:
012.jpg

This obstacle was the hardest I've come across while wheeling. My buddy in in Jeep J10 made it look easy after he got past the tree:
021.jpg

022.jpg

This was closer to what I dealt with- except my open diffs resulted in some spinning. THe pics of me going through it should surface soon:
024.jpg

025.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

The H1 goes around the big rocks:
033.jpg

Not the J10:
037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

040.jpg

041.jpg

042.jpg

044.jpg

047.jpg

I missed the H1 going through this with any good shots:
059.jpg

Looking back to where we came from:
071.jpg

It was chilly and the lack of doors wasn't helping:
079.jpg

To the left is Webster Pass coming up to meet Red Cone that comes down on top of the ridge on the right:
080.jpg

You can see the trail on the very right:
081.jpg

Red Cone is known for a series of very steep hills. Pictures don't do it justice. This is 4 Low and on the brakes:
089.jpg

090.jpg

092.jpg

095.jpg

101.jpg

110.jpg

Compared to Red Cone, Keystone Gulch was a cake walk:
119.jpg

120.jpg

122.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

129.jpg

130.jpg

132.jpg

133.jpg

137.jpg

138.jpg

139.jpg

143.jpg

It was a fun day and I'll post more pics as I collect them from others.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not happy with how the pics turned out. They all look fuzzy. I'm looking into an issue with my camera (Canon Rebel XSi). My iphone pics from the trip are crystal clear.

Nice pics. I WILL get out on that trail one day.

Red Cone is very cool! We were nearly blown off the top of it last time we were there:eek:

It was windy when we were up there too. Not "blown off the mountain" windy, but the 54 degrees showing on the temp display felt really chilly. And it was cold enough to sleet on us a couple times.

More pics. More of the same- just different angles.

And Luke, when Ed jumped out to get pics of you 2 wheeling around that switchback- his camera had gone "to sleep" and was an idiot and couldn't get it woken up in time before you were clear. The amount of gap under your rear tire was amazing- I wish I would have gotten a pic from up the hill.

IMG_5835-yes.jpg

Some jerk-face got in the way of this shot:
IMG_5836-yes.jpg

Notice the bungee cord holding the windshield in place:
IMG_5841-yes.jpg

IMG_5848-yes.jpg

IMG_5850-yes.jpg

IMG_5851-yes.jpg

IMG_5852-yes.jpg

IMG_5855-yes.jpg

I think I was stuck with a rock up against my lower control arm here:
IMG_5856-yes.jpg

IMG_5862-yes.jpg

IMG_5868-yes.jpg

IMG_5875-yes.jpg

This looks over to the climb up to the top of Red Cone Peak. I rather enjoyed this climb for some reason:
IMG_5882-yes.jpg

IMG_5883-yes.jpg

IMG_5885-yes.jpg

A look back where we came from:
IMG_5890-yes.jpg

IMG_5905-yes.jpg

IMG_5911-yes.jpg

Pictures really can't do justice to how steep this was:
IMG_5914-yes.jpg

IMG_5921-yes.jpg

IMG_5923-yes.jpg

IMG_5940-yes.jpg

IMG_5942-yes.jpg

I learned just before we got to this section that he didn't have any rear brakes in this thing. But he does have 2 transfer cases in line with each other- his low range has a low range. He was actually on the gas coming down this and still just creeping along. I was in 1st gear, low range and on the brakes.
IMG_5954-yes.jpg

The group behind us:
IMG_5949-yes.jpg

IMG_5983-yes.jpg

IMG_5997-yes.jpg

My 92 with a 2 inch and 31s had a hell of a time...specially on the section with that single busted up tree on the left in those earlier pics. After those rolling ditches there was a hill that I decided to turn it around on...sadly. never finished it. Then coming back one of my rear shock mounts got hung up on that same spot in those earlier pics..a scouting dirt bike coming up threw off my line causing the hang up. That spot is nasty and comes early

Looks like good times with great scenery!

Back