Redline Tuning Hood Quicklift for 2nd Gen-FREE (Michigan residents look) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Redline Tuning Hood Quicklift for 2nd Gen-FREE (Michigan residents look)

Status
Not open for further replies.

celly

disturber of the peace
Reaction score
City, State
calgary
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 eb 5.0 awd
Are you one of the many people who are tired of the weak OEM hood struts and their equally lame aftermarket alternatives for 2nd Gen Explorers? I recently replaced my struts not long after my hood came crashing down on 4 fingers on my left hand leaving me hopelessly trapped and needing to call out for help to a neighbour to pop the hood for me. it was very embarassing, not to say freakin' painful. I'm lucky my knuckles weren't crushed. It was a close call. These struts were barely 2 years old.

Recently someone in the Ranger forum posted about a product I had my eye on earlier this year. They're essentially developed as a replacement for prop rods, but why not put them in a 2nd gen Explorer?

I emailed the Company, and promptly received a reply in short order (from the owner no less). My question was whether the Ranger kit would work "straight up" on 2nd generation Explorers. Here was his reply:

Each of kit is designed specifically for each application, so I doubt our Ranger kit would work on the Explorer due to many different factors. That being said we can design a kit specifically for the Explorer.

I had mentioned to him that I frequent Explorerforum and this is how the rest of the reply went (this is where it got interesting):

If you can post something on the forum and let people know we need a person to come to our shop and volunteer their vehicle for 2-3 hours. In exchange they would receive a free kit and their Explorer would be used on our website and in the manual. We are located in the Ann Arbor, Michigan area. They can contact me directly at Andreas@redlinetuning.com.
Regards,
Andreas

I have no vested interest in this Company other than the fact I want to buy a set of Explorer specific struts some day. If you check out their eBay listing you'll see that they not only have a well written and informative listing, but they have stellar feeback. Their website is great too as are their install instructions. Their product seems to be of very high quality. I'm not shilling this business and it's with Rick's blessing that we get a product designed for our Explorers. I hope someone in the Ann Arbor area sees this post and takes the plunge.

Ranger_main.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also hope someone takes the plunge, Ive been using a crow bar to prop my hood up for the past 2 years.

EDIT: I don't see why a ranger kit wouldnt work. Wernt the hoods on the 98's, 99's ECT the same as the explorers?

I also hope someone takes the plunge, Ive been using a crow bar to prop my hood up for the past 2 years.

Up until recently, I carried around a chunk of wood in the back. I did put in some Strongarm struts recently and they're fine for now, but these are the same struts that let me down a few months ago. Just not a lot of choices in this neck of the woods. :(

EDIT: I don't see why a ranger kit wouldnt work. Wernt the hoods on the 98's, 99's ECT the same as the explorers?

I agree that a Ranger kit SHOULD work (and Rick used one years ago). I agree that the hoods are similar. I'm holding out until they develop one specifically for our generation. :D

I might buy the ranger kit when I get my tax returns. I can't think of one reason why it wouldnt work. The hoods are identical.

ttt

ttt

I too, have hood issues. been carrying a wood stick to prop my hood after it slammed me in the head once and tried to decapitate me again a second time, but my cat-like reflexes saved me.

SO...someone do this please? It's a deal and a half for 2-3 hours of your time. Hell, I'd do that to be in a catalog without even getting the product free, let alone helping out a bunch of fellow X owners. :D

And 99ex, keep us posted on the Ranger kit, please. :thumbsup:

Nice work Techie! 10 points for you. :D

Cool. Waytogo guys. As mentioned, the Ranger kit would probably work fine for the Ex, but I like the fact Andreas will make sure that the spec for 2nd gens is perfect before he releases it to the general public. I look forward to seeing how it all pans out.

Hmm has my interest. I have a 2x2 about 8 inches long that I keep under my hood in a safe location to prop the hood up. Would be nice not to have to worry about it.

Wish I was closer to them. I'd do it if it wasn't such a long drive from here.

BTW, my struts still work fine.

Subscribing, I'd like to find something better than the stock pieces. I bought replacements for my 99 truck, and they are not very special. They work, but when new they seemed like they barely could hold up the hood, and especially the hatch.

FYI, the Ranger hood is not identical, very close, but different. I may have a hood modified and end up with a little more weight. I'd like a more secure hood support.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

your probably right, from what I can tell from the picture in post 4 it looks the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back