Redline Tuning hood struts installed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Redline Tuning hood struts installed

evilgeek

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Curse this site. This is something I never would have gone out of my way to look for, but I do find the prop slightly annoying, especially when the engine bay is hot... Just ordered the stainless ones.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rat72

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
England
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Curse this site. This is something I never would have gone out of my way to look for, but I do find the prop slightly annoying, especially when the engine bay is hot... Just ordered the stainless ones.

Maybe I had become spoiled but I was really disappointed the the truck did not come with the struts. I came back from German SUVs to US made ones, this just seemed lazy on Ford’s part. Oh well, I fixed the glitch. :)

<

<

BrianCanada

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST Atlas Bl
Yup, the mother ship cheaped out on this one.

On my unit, the plastic clip that secures the prop rod was so lose that I could hear the entire assembly rattling with the hood closed. I applied some adhesive to secure the clip better. I'll be looking at upgrading to the hood struts to completely remove the stock prop rod.

<

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
<

<

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Got mine installed today, must have taken a full 15 minutes.

<

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
So someone has a question and you’d be less than polite? GREAT forum quality right there.

He probably assumed since it was always standard on Explorers that the “latest and greatest” (And more expensive) would have included a very basic feature.

Was never on the 5th gen either.

<

<

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Worth the $100?

Could i live without it....sure.
Cool factor 90% of the cost.
I just cant leave well enough alone...LOL
I did not need Sync 3, the new style shark fin antenna, but I find these things at a nice price and say what the heck.

<

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
Could i live without it....sure.
Cool factor 90% of the cost.
I just cant leave well enough alone...LOL
I did not need Sync 3, the new style shark fin antenna, but I find these things at a nice price and say what the heck.

"What the heck" describes all of my car purchases. I bought those struts for mine long ago for the same reasons, cool factor and what the heck.

<

quickfix

Reaction score
City, State
Adrift in Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer XLT 202A
I was quite pleased to note that my new Explorer had the simple prop rod.
My 2011 Mustang came with just the prop rod in the front. But then, one day I was mulling over getting the hydraulic struts while wrenching away at the spark plugs and realized that the hydraulic struts would have been in my way. I stopped work and stood back to survey the engine bay work space. It was one of those "Hmmm!" moments. Never gave those struts another thought.

<

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
My experience with transverse engine...more work is done from front, not the side.. so to each his own

<

quickfix

Reaction score
City, State
Adrift in Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer XLT 202A
My experience with transverse engine...more work is done from front, not the side.. so to each his own
Yup. But this forum is about mods for the 2020 Explorer in which the engine is mounted longitudinally.

<

Joe Stewart

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
My Bad, Carry on

<

12secford

Reaction score
City, State
Fallbrook
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac XLT
Hood Struts...they didn't come with any except a hood Prop ;)
I noticed you kept the original hood prop. (for emergencies?)
By reverting to a hood prop, is Ford trying to save weight, gas mileage, or money?

<

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
By reverting to a hood prop, is Ford trying to save weight, gas mileage, or money?
I’d assume it’s money. The weight is negligible, especially considering the 500 pounds of bells and whistles that are unnecessary.

<

peterk9

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Aviator Reserve
Callsign
VE3
The Explorers have had the hood prop since 2011.

Peter

<

quickfix

Reaction score
City, State
Adrift in Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020, Explorer XLT 202A
The Explorers have had the hood prop since 2011.

Peter
As have all Mustangs and Shelby Cobras. It's not for cost reduction for sure. I still think it's for ease of access for under hood maintenance. Of all the cars I've owned in the past 50 years, my 2011 Mustang and 2020 Explorer are the easiest engine bays to access. Only my MGB engine bay is easier to maintain. It only has a single prop rod of sorts too.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
As have all Mustangs and Shelby Cobras. It's not for cost reduction for sure. I still think it's for ease of access for under hood maintenance. Of all the cars I've owned in the past 50 years, my 2011 Mustang and 2020 Explorer are the easiest engine bays to access. Only my MGB engine bay is easier to maintain. It only has a single prop rod of sorts too.
Why would it not be for cost savings? Very little is done on cars to make them easier to work on. Every generation gets more stupidly complex and require more specialized tooling. They could easily make the hydraulic struts so they were less obtrusive than the prop rod.

<