Redline Tuning hood struts installed | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Redline Tuning hood struts installed

Curse this site. This is something I never would have gone out of my way to look for, but I do find the prop slightly annoying, especially when the engine bay is hot... Just ordered the stainless ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curse this site. This is something I never would have gone out of my way to look for, but I do find the prop slightly annoying, especially when the engine bay is hot... Just ordered the stainless ones.

Maybe I had become spoiled but I was really disappointed the the truck did not come with the struts. I came back from German SUVs to US made ones, this just seemed lazy on Ford’s part. Oh well, I fixed the glitch. :)

Yup, the mother ship cheaped out on this one.

On my unit, the plastic clip that secures the prop rod was so lose that I could hear the entire assembly rattling with the hood closed. I applied some adhesive to secure the clip better. I'll be looking at upgrading to the hood struts to completely remove the stock prop rod.

Got mine installed today, must have taken a full 15 minutes.

So someone has a question and you’d be less than polite? GREAT forum quality right there.

He probably assumed since it was always standard on Explorers that the “latest and greatest” (And more expensive) would have included a very basic feature.

Was never on the 5th gen either.

Worth the $100?

Could i live without it....sure.
Cool factor 90% of the cost.
I just cant leave well enough alone...LOL
I did not need Sync 3, the new style shark fin antenna, but I find these things at a nice price and say what the heck.

Could i live without it....sure.
Cool factor 90% of the cost.
I just cant leave well enough alone...LOL
I did not need Sync 3, the new style shark fin antenna, but I find these things at a nice price and say what the heck.

"What the heck" describes all of my car purchases. I bought those struts for mine long ago for the same reasons, cool factor and what the heck.

I was quite pleased to note that my new Explorer had the simple prop rod.
My 2011 Mustang came with just the prop rod in the front. But then, one day I was mulling over getting the hydraulic struts while wrenching away at the spark plugs and realized that the hydraulic struts would have been in my way. I stopped work and stood back to survey the engine bay work space. It was one of those "Hmmm!" moments. Never gave those struts another thought.

My experience with transverse engine...more work is done from front, not the side.. so to each his own

My experience with transverse engine...more work is done from front, not the side.. so to each his own
Yup. But this forum is about mods for the 2020 Explorer in which the engine is mounted longitudinally.

Hood Struts...they didn't come with any except a hood Prop ;)
I noticed you kept the original hood prop. (for emergencies?)
By reverting to a hood prop, is Ford trying to save weight, gas mileage, or money?

By reverting to a hood prop, is Ford trying to save weight, gas mileage, or money?
I’d assume it’s money. The weight is negligible, especially considering the 500 pounds of bells and whistles that are unnecessary.

The Explorers have had the hood prop since 2011.

Peter

The Explorers have had the hood prop since 2011.

Peter
As have all Mustangs and Shelby Cobras. It's not for cost reduction for sure. I still think it's for ease of access for under hood maintenance. Of all the cars I've owned in the past 50 years, my 2011 Mustang and 2020 Explorer are the easiest engine bays to access. Only my MGB engine bay is easier to maintain. It only has a single prop rod of sorts too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As have all Mustangs and Shelby Cobras. It's not for cost reduction for sure. I still think it's for ease of access for under hood maintenance. Of all the cars I've owned in the past 50 years, my 2011 Mustang and 2020 Explorer are the easiest engine bays to access. Only my MGB engine bay is easier to maintain. It only has a single prop rod of sorts too.
Why would it not be for cost savings? Very little is done on cars to make them easier to work on. Every generation gets more stupidly complex and require more specialized tooling. They could easily make the hydraulic struts so they were less obtrusive than the prop rod.

Back