Redline when passing?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Redline when passing??

I was wondering if this is normal
Since i got my truck, anytime i floor it, whether passing or just looking to go fast, it ALWAYS revs right to the 6 thousand and hits no limiter

I never drove a car that shifted so high, especially one that shifted right at the and of the tachometer.

Could i have a problem with maybe kickdown cable? maybe too much slack in the throttle cable?

Im wondering does anybody elses truck do this also?
BTW i have a 98 Sports 4.0L SOHC with 4.10 gears, and 4x4, 5R55E

I was wondering if this is normal
Since i got my truck, anytime i floor it, whether passing or just looking to go fast, it ALWAYS revs right to the 6 thousand and hits no limiter

I never drove a car that shifted so high, especially one that shifted right at the and of the tachometer.

Could i have a problem with maybe kickdown cable? maybe too much slack in the throttle cable?

Im wondering does anybody elses truck do this also?
BTW i have a 98 Sports 4.0L SOHC with 4.10 gears, and 4x4, 5R55E

You don't have a kickdown cable on your vehicle. The kickdown is controlled by the tps. Keep in mind these engines like to rev!

hey james. so you are basically saying this is normal? hmm okay
oh by the way, i doubt you remember but im the guy who called you from canada about the 3 program chip about a month back

but anyhow, i just found it strange that it shifts this high because my tach doesnt even have the "redline" it just stops at 6,000 rpm and thats where every gear shifts when its to floor. my 95 bonneville ssei always shifted at 5300 (with 7000 rpm tach) in normal shift mode, and like 5650 in performance shift mode aww now im reminising.... :( i miss that supercharged bad boy.. last year of the supercharged series 1 invulnerable 3800 engine and they switched it to the series II plastic intake killer/leaker lol...

I sure do remember you. The 4.0L redline is @ 6250 but if you notice the gear ratio in the trans doesn't have a huge drop between shifts thus keeping the engine at peak efficiency most of the time. The spacing is excellent on the sohc engine/5R55E tranny combo. I have been completely amazed at the results I have had with mine. -James

Back