Redoing my blinkers and other light need help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Redoing my blinkers and other light need help

I just got a 67 ford F-100 and none of the blinkers,stop or head lights on. Lights works and i need to get this on the road asap. This is what i got so far.

Untitled-6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious, does it have a trailer harness? If so, does it work? No power to the lights, hmm... So you are going to rewire everything?

No trailer harness not that lucky. Ya i HAVE to b/c i took a better look and the not so OE one and it was cracked and messed up. I really just need to know what size wire,fuse to use b/c the end are still good. Also my head light are dime voltage at the light is about 9.2V(40 year old wires will do that i guess) so i had this idea,
headlight.jpg

kinda like wiring in fog light and driving light. What size wire and fuse should i use for the head light also.

The truck is really nice! Hope all works out well...

LOL it took me 3 days to figure it out but i kinda did. I think 12-GA wire will be fine for the rear light and 14 -GA for the head light.

For running lights use 16 ga wire, red to feed the lights and black for the ground.
For Brake/Turn signals, 16 ga also, green for the right and yellow for the left.

Head lights 12 ga minimum, from the battery to the relay, then from the relay to the headlights. 18 or 16 ga to control the relays from the existing dimmer switch or new switches; it would be easier to get a new dimmer switch from AutoZone or other auto store.

If possible run a single 14 ga black ground wire back to the battery from the rear lights and a 12 or 10 ga black wire for grounding the headlights back to the battery. A single black 16 ga wire from the front parkers/directional will work ok.

The grounds can go to a terminal strip or stud then to the negative terminal on the battery.

Do you have the Headlights hooked up ?

How far are you ?

I haven't started yet but thinks for the info Sandy im going to be doing the rear lights this week end and when i got time the head lights. The work now just kinda dull. The wires that go to the head light now run right next to the battery and wear i was going to mount the relay. I was going to cut the wires on the driver side can cap them off with shrink wrap stuff. Then use the wires right there to power the relays. Would this be to much power for the relays and what relays do i need to buy?

That is what you want to do, use the existing high/low beam wires from the dimmer switch to control the relays, pin 86 and don't forget pin 85 the grounds; the load of the relays are minimal.
Hook up the relays without the headlight wire in place first, make sure they are clicking, then hook up the battery wire to pin 30 and the headlights to pin 87.
The only thing to consider is changing the fuse for the Headlights to a lower value, since the load on the switch is lower, that is if you are going to use the stock headlight switch.

The rear light are lower amperage draw than the head lights that is why we use a larger gauge wire for them 12 instead of the 14. (higher number smaller wire).
I use 10 ga wire on my headlights but if you only have 12 then that will do. Once the new wires are in you can run a larger wattage bulb if you want, same on the rear lights; they have bulbs that are brighter.

Luck on the project, if you need help just ask.

nnf000@gmail.com

yep that's what i was thinking using the old wires to power the relays then relays to power lights. The only questions i have left are

1.would 2 30 amp foglamp relay be fine one for the high and one for the low and 10 amp for the 16 gauge wire to the turns? Just to be safe.
2.would i use a 30 amp fuse to go with 10 gauge wire from the battery to the relay?
3.Can i use speaker wire if it is the right gauge. Friend works at a speaker shop and i can get the wire free.

yep that's what i was thinking using the old wires to power the relays then relays to power lights. The only questions i have left are

This is a great way to do it, just take a look at the existing wires to make sure there are no cracks or stripped areas.

1.would 2 30 amp foglamp relay be fine one for the high and one for the low and 10 amp for the 16 gauge wire to the turns? Just to be safe.

Yes!
If possible buy new ones, 30 amp standard automotive relays do not cost much, maybe 5 or 6 dollars each; it would be better to use new but if you have the relays already see what happens.
Mount the relays first, run the existing high/low beam wire to them and then ground each relay separately. (some relay ground through the mounting hole, watch for pin 85 which is usually the ground but it might be pin 86 so be careful what you have and how it is used).
Make sure the relays click when you click the dimmer switch; then hook up the main power.

2.would i use a 30 amp fuse to go with 10 gauge wire from the battery to the relay?

Yes !
The 10 ga wire will handle more than the 30 amp so that is good, the relays are rated at 30 amps but will handle a little more so a 30 amp fuse will blow before there is a fire.

3.Can i use speaker wire if it is the right gauge. Friend works at a speaker shop and i can get the wire free.

I wouldn't.
Again wire is cheap buy some 16 ga automotive wire and be on the safe side of the fire zone.
Don't go to the nearest Home Depot and buy your wire, house wiring is not the same stuff, go to a Automotive Store.

No problem...

I enjoy wire for the most part, I am in the process of wiring my latest project a 1982 Jeep Scrambler using a Painless Universal Harness, so far so good.

If you have any questions, just ask either through this site or e-mail me.

later,

I think i got most of it. I mean it's only a '67 so the lights are 60% of the wiring. After a few other things i am going to redo it all.

True enough but good lighting, especially the headlights, is always a plus.

Back