• Register Today It's free!

Refilling 5R55W tranny??

pipewelder74

Reaction score
City, State
Waldorf MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer
I have my trans pulled out and replaced the intermediate band... swapping out TC, solenoid block and valve body since I have the opportunity. My question is- what is the correct way to fill a completely drained trans??
As forementioned it's a 5R55W..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have my trans pulled out and replaced the intermediate band... swapping out TC, solenoid block and valve body since I have the opportunity. My question is- what is the correct way to fill a completely drained trans??
As forementioned it's a 5R55W..

Depends on whether the torque converter was also drained. In your case, it probably was, since the trans. was opened up.

Usually, to prevent puking out fluid initially, 4 or so quarts are added initially, engine started and allowed to idle, then add more to bring level up. This process allows the initial fluid put in to load up in the TC; this prevents the level in and above the pan from being excessive. imp

All through the ridiculously inconvienient fill tube on the bottom of the pan?
I was picturing filling it most of the way through one of the cooling line ports before I jack it back into place...

I have this, didn't catch that though..Filling through the speed sensors looks optimum. Thanks for catching ..:cool:

Back