• Register Today It's free!

Reformulated gas and gas milage

DaleG

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport 4X4
I just recently completed my second over the road trip with the Explorer and I am convinced that reformulated gas gives lower fuel economy.
When I left town I had a full tank of RFG and got just under 17mpg on the road. All of the other full tanks were not RFG (at least I dont think they were) and I got 19-19.5 mpg.
Has anyone else ever done a comparison between the two and if so what were your findings? They claim that RFG doesn't lower fuel economy but I'm not convinced.
If I have to use more of this stuff comparably then I don't see the benefits of having to use it to reduce emissions

Thanx

Dale

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've taken 2 road trips this year and I'm also convinced the oxygenated gas or gas with ethanol reduces mileage 1-3 mpg.

In California my wife and I have noted a seasonal fluxuation in gas milage depending on the oxygenation process which reduces milage and yes 2-3mpg is what we noticed. Don't know what effect it has on the air but it costs more to drive and makes more taxes for the government. rc

Originally posted by rjc
Don't know what effect it has on the air but it costs more to drive and makes more taxes for the government. rc

And the plot thickens...

I think I read somewhere that RFG has a higher O2 content and effectively simulates a leaner condition. Problem is that our computers sense the increased O2 and compensate by adjusting the mixture. Result, the do-gooders actually cause gas mileage to decrease and there is some discussion that the byproduct of the additives in RFG is formaldehyde as an exhaust gas.

This is off of the top of my head from what I remember of old car mag. articles. It would be nice if someone with a chem. background could shoot me down or fill in the blanks.

In south eastern wisconsin, we've lived with reformed gas for a few years now. I smells like eggs and kills about 2 - 3 mpg off your total.

In central wisconsin, where they still have the regular stuff, I average 19/20 highway driving depending on what I tow. In SE Wisconsin, I average 15 - 17.

:thumbdwn:

I have noticed the same things you guys have when using ethonol blended fuel. The main thing that I noticed with ethonol is that it will take 3-4 more seconds of cranking to start my truck up, where as with pure gasoline it starts right up.

Back