• Register Today It's free!

reg cab short bed, ex body swap.

1991fordexploder

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT stock
Will a regular cab short bed ranger body and bed fit the explorer frame?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What year exploder-- What year ranger?

91ex, same body style ranger

In terms of length it'll probably work.

But it would be a lot easier to simply start with a ranger on it's own chassis. I assume somethings wrong with the ranger you have or you want to change it to a v6/4x4 model?

I thought the explorer frame was wider?

I want to put a ranger cab on the ex frame. And possibly a short bed

for what reason?

itd be easier to build the ranger then swap the body

I agree just build off the ranger itself

even if the cab fit with no problem, lining up the rear wheel wells on the bed to the rear axle would be a pain, i know there is pictures floating around here of a ranger cab on an X frame with about a half of a ranger bed on it, looks pretty sweet but looks like a ton of fab work

The cab will be an easy swap. You may have to make rear cab mount brackets, but the front and middle body mounts will line up.

The problem is the bed. The explorer wheelbase is 112" and the reg cab ranger is 108". The explorer frame also gets wider after the trans crossmember (4" i think), where the ranger frame is straight all the way back. The Ranger frame is also raised up under the bed.

It can be done, but it will take some work.

short answer: no

long answer: major pita to get the frame rails to work with the bed. ranger is SOA, Explorer is SUA. width's on the frame change, ect on the explorer and not on the ranger. Doable if you can fab and have time, but not worth the effort.

There was a guy on TRS that endoed his X in some sand dunes. He ripped the X body off the frame and put a Ranger cab on it. The front 4 body mounts are the same, but he had to do some minor fabricating for the rear cab mounts.

He made The Ranger bed work, and it looks good. He also did a SAS, and there's some cool "dirty" pics near the end. :)

The "Chester" mishap:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3218

"Chester" Replacement:
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3497

what about an 01 ranger to 01 sport trac body swap

Once again why not just build off the ranger?

my ranger is basic model 4 cyl and the ST is fully loaded with title problems i was wondering if it was easier to swap bodies instead of everything else

It would be easier to just get a new title....

Back