• Register Today It's free!

Regular or Premium Gas

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
Hi there, not having my new explorer yet, I wanted to ask, what does ford recommend for the '11 explorer? regular or premium gasoline?
I have always used premium in our two 1.8T passat wagons. thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

87 Octane. If you can find pure gas (no ethanol) use it. I got a full tank yesterday in Bloomington, IL.

This is NOT a high compression engine, any octane over 87 is wasted money.

87 Octane. If you can find pure gas (no ethanol) use it. I got a full tank yesterday in Bloomington, IL.

This is NOT a high compression engine, any octane over 87 is wasted money.
thanks, that is what I thougt.

Silly question: how do I figure out if I am getting pure gasoline and not a winter gas/ethanol mix? (I'm not talking about the clearly labeled flexfuel pumps). I understand that during winter months, the gasoline is blended with ethanol at small quantities, not sure if this is even correct though. Thanks,

Silly question: how do I figure out if I am getting pure gasoline and not a winter gas/ethanol mix? (I'm not talking about the clearly labeled flexfuel pumps). I understand that during winter months, the gasoline is blended with ethanol at small quantities, not sure if this is even correct though. Thanks,

Almost all gas now, especially in large towns & cities, have up to 10% ethanol blended into the fuel. It is clearly maked on the pumps. You'll see it.

The "winter" and "summer" blends are done by the manufacturer and I would expect timing to be based on specific regions of the USA. These changes are not marked or disclosed on the pumps.

Google "ethanol free pure gas" and you will see some web sites pop up. I'll post a link later with the web site I use. Small towns, and towns with lots of business related to small engines, water crafts, and outdoors activites seem to have several stations with Pure Gas. I find it very prevelent in the state of Wisconsin.

Hey all,

I would like to confirm what most of you just noted, this is taken from page 395 of the owner's manual. Since some of you haven't received the Explorer yet, feel free to look through the owner's manual online. It can be found at www.FordOwner.com under vehicle basics.

Choosing the right fuel
Use only UNLEADED fuel or UNLEADED fuel blended with a maximum of 10% Ethanol. Do not use fuel ethanol (E85), diesel, methanol, leaded fuel or any other fuel. The use of leaded fuel is prohibited by law and could damage your vehicle. Your vehicle was not designed to use fuel or fuel additives with metallic compounds, including manganese-based additives. Note: Use of any fuel other than those recommended may cause powertrain damage, a loss of vehicle performance, and repairs may not be covered under warranty.

The FordOwner.com site will provide information to properly maintain your vehicle, as well as offer bumper to bumper warranty and recall information. There are many benefits to creating your own personalized account such as special offers and promotions. Special offers often include quarterly service offers from your preferred servicing dealer, new vehicle incentives, and buying or selling resources.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to send me an email. ;)

Seni

That's a cool link Bill... Shame there aren't any reasonably close to me.

Ford Customer Service, if it's only allowed to take 10% ethanol, what will happen once the EPA allows ethanol up to 15% which is supposed to be usable on all 2001 + vehicles? Just a question. If I can't use my 2011 Explorer with 2011 gas, then that is shameful.

Ford Customer Service, if it's only allowed to take 10% ethanol, what will happen once the EPA allows ethanol up to 15% which is supposed to be usable on all 2001 + vehicles? Just a question. If I can't use my 2011 Explorer with 2011 gas, then that is shameful.

Where is the information about 15% ethanol supposing to be usable on all 2001+ vehicles? I have not heard this before.

Where is the information about 15% ethanol supposing to be usable on all 2001+ vehicles? I have not heard this before.

I found this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/business/energy-environment/14ethanol.html

Quote from nytimes article: WASHINGTON — The Obama administration made a gesture of support for the ethanol industry on Wednesday, with a declaration by the Environmental Protection Agency that gasoline retailers can sell fuel blends containing up to 15 percent ethanol for use in late-model cars.

What octane gas level should I use with my 2011 Explorer?

from what i gather it wont help. shouldnt hurt.

Good to hear. It'll be nice to save money buying 87 vs 93 and to have better MPGs.

Will using anything higher help or hurt the vehicle?
It would just be a waste of $$. I think we are paying enough as it is. I think today it about $5.75 an Imperial gallon here for regular.

Its currently $4.16 a gallon in Hawaii,

whats your current town and price out there?

87 will work for the x. Cost average in N. Calif, around 3.71

87 octane $3.17 in SC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back