relay wiring questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

relay wiring questions

I searched and searched and couldnt find a good diagram or good description. Im gonna be installing a set of driving lights on my 98 blazer using a bosch relay. I would like to wire them up so they come on with the headlights PLUS also have a toggle switch on them so i can aso turn them off whenever I want. Im dumb with relays so any help would be great. I know I will have to splice into the factory wiring and all that I can handle that just I dont understand where all the wires go to the relay. thanks in advance for your help guys. Oh yeah i forgot to mention I have auto Lights on my blazer so is it still possible to wire the driving lights up like I want and be able to use them even when the auto lights are off?

Mike

In the FAQs at top of lighting page are diagrams you seek.
You would splice the switch power wire to the high beams headlight wire. Then the switch would only turn on the lights when the high beams are on. Leaving the switch on would turn on the driving lights when the high beams are on. If you want to turn the driving lights on when the headlights are off you will need to install a "three way switch" where one pole is spliced to high beam and the other to an ignition circut wire.(one that comes on w/key, I use the wiper motor wire) Its an ON - OFF - ON toggle switch.

hey thanks for the help Bill I never thought about a 3 way switch. Is it better to wire them up for your high beams or with low beams? we used to have a jeep with factory driving lights that only came on with the low beams?? I would prefer to be able to have them on whenever i want just not on with the car off so any 12 volt switched source would work ? In the picture on the Faqs page it looks like that relay is only a 4 pin and mine is a 5 pin, does that mean the midde pin is left unhooked from anything?

Back