Reliability, and other questions... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reliability, and other questions...

Todd82TA

Reaction score
City, State
South Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport 4x2
Hey guys,

I know this is kind of a dumb / loaded question, but I'm trying to get out from under a car-payment, and I'm going to be trading in my 2006 Pontiac Solstice. I'm looking for something that will be affordable, very utilitarian, get at least average fuel economy, and will be inexpensive to fix, and easy to maintain.

I've been looking at 2000-2005 Ford Explorer 2-door models. One side question I have is... why do the 2001 Ford Explorer 2-door models look totally identical to a 2002 Ford Explorer 2-door when they are apparently from differnet generations???

In any case, I'm looking at a 2001 right now with fairly low miles, it's a coupe, non 4x4, and pretty clean inside and out. If this car is reliable, it should be a really good car for me.

Can anyone tell me what I should look for as problem areas for these cars? I'll certainly check the transmission fluid to make sure it's clean and not overly dirty, but I was also wondering how durable the V6 motors are? I have a 2002 Crown Vic with a 4.6 SOHC and it's been great. Can I expect similar reliability from the 4.0 V6?

How horribly slow are they?

Most importantly, when I go to take a look at this car tomorrow, what should I be looking for?

Thanks guys!!!

Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot (wife's)
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

why do the 2001 Ford Explorer 2-door models look totally identical to a 2002 Ford Explorer 2-door when they are apparently from differnet generations???

Because only the 4 doors changed to the total new design in 2002.

Back