Reliability survey:Your 2011-13 Ford Explorer Mileage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reliability survey:Your 2011-13 Ford Explorer Mileage

volcano375

Reaction score
City, State
st louis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT 4WD
I have been searching some information regarding new explorer reliability, but i can not find enough information. Therefore, I like to start a survey here.
Please respond below questions. This should give us some idea about new explorer(2011-13). Thank you.
Year:.......
Trim:.......
FWD vs 4WD:........
Current mileage:........
Any problem or issue: .........
Are you happy with your purchase:
Would you recommend new EX for others:

note: I wondering if any explorer out there that already passed 100K miles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Year:2013
Trim:XLT
FWD vs 4WD:4WD
Current mileage:5600
Any problem or issue: none
Are you happy with your purchase:so far Yes.
Would you recommend new EX for others: Yes

Year:2011
FWD vs 4WD:FWD
Current mileage:30,000
Any problem or issue: nothing major.
Are you happy with your purchase:so far Yes.

Trim:Sport
FWD vs 4WD:4WD
Current mileage:3000
Any problem or issue:None
Are you happy with your purchase:Yes
Would you recommend new EX for others:Yes

Ex 1 (Columbia):

Year: 2013
Trim: Limited
FWD v.s. 4WD: 4WD
Current Mileage: 6,000
Any Problems Or Issues: none
Are you happy with your purchase?: very
Would you recommend new EX to others?: yes

Ex 2 (Discovery):

Current Mileage: 4,000
Any Problems or issues ?: none
Are you happy with your purchase?: very
Would you recommend new EX to others?: yes

Year:....... 2011
Trim:....... Limited
FWD vs 4WD:........ 4WD
Current mileage:........ 41,000
Any problem or issue: ......... Apillar TSB (once), Chatter window tsb (twice), exhaust smell tsb (once), Rear tailgate closing tsb (once), terrain management fault (once, parts replaced), oil in air intake tsb (once), squeeling brakes tsb (once),
Are you happy with your purchase: Yes

I feel all the issues above are growing pains with the choice of buying a 1st year redesign. I expected issues and Ford had supplied a rental at no charge every time it went in. If I could go back and do it again, I would however I would have waited for the Sport model.

EX rating

Year: 2011
FWD v.s. 4WD: AWD
Current Mileage: 30000
Any Problems Or Issues: MFT, APillar, various rattles & creaks
Are you happy with your purchase?: Yes
Would you recommend new EX to others?: Yes

Love the car, but in hindsight wouldn't have bought the first year after redo. Most all issues have been fixed, but the MFT is still flaky if I plug in an ipod. Another creak has appeared, but intermittent

Trim: XLT with 201A pkg (Leather, Nav, MFT, convenience pkg)
FWD v.s. 4WD: FWD
Current Mileage: 27,000
Any Problems Or Issues: Almost none. TSB on radiator, upgrades to MFT
Are you happy with your purchase?: Extremely
Would you recommend new EX to others?: Have many times

Best car I've ever owned. Plenty of room, rides like a dream. Just returned from 2800 mile trip thru mountains, cold, snow, rain. Got 24 mpg total. Drove 75-80 mph on highway. 4 days of city driving, still got great mileage for a car this size.

My personal opinion on the MFT is that it is a good system. I don't have near the bugs that many here complain about, but I don't ask it to be compatible with technology that was developed long after the MFT was engineered. Asking Apple and Microsoft to be compatible all the time is naive in my opinion. This MFT system is not the latest, greatest Geek technology. Was never intended to be, but it is a very good effort on Ford's part to take a step in the right direction.

If it wasn't for the MFT issues the Ex would be a 5 star car from everyone.

Trim: XLT
Current Mileage: 15,000
Any Problems Or Issues: Almost none. TSB on A Pillar (Problem corrected)
Are you happy with your purchase?: VERY HAPPY Best X yet - our 4th
Would you recommend new EX to others?: YES!!!!

Trim: Sport
FWD vs 4WD: 4WD
Current mileage:4250
Any problem or issue: Day after picking up, discovered Sirius radio wasn't working. Dealer had to reinstall MFT. No other issues!!!
Are you happy with your purchase: very
Would you recommend new EX for others: definitely

Trim:limited
4WD
Current miles:21000
No issues at all
Yes very happy
Yes, would recommend this vehicle

Year:2012
FWD vs 4WD:4W
Current mileage10,300
Any problem or issue: MFT / Terrain Management / BLIS / Auto Headlights / Sirius Radio / Rear Liftgate
Are you happy with your purchase: No
Would you recommend new EX for others: No

Year:....... 2013
Trim:.......XLT
FWD vs 4WD:........FWD
Current mileage:........2020.0
Any problem or issue: .........none so far
Are you happy with your purchase:very much so
Would you recommend new EX for others: yes
Have notice visibly is limited compared to my 2002 Eddie Bauer but with my back up camera the rear view is great. Need to watch the crubs in the front with that low front fairing. Miss my bumpers!!

Hi everyone!

I'm so happy that many of you love your Explorers and aren't experiencing any issues. As a reminder, I'm here to step in should you ever have any concerns or questions. To get started, just send me a PM with your information. I'll need your VIN, preferred servicing dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name.

Thanks!

Crystal

Current mileage:1,200
Any problem or issue: Yes
Rear passenger door is not flesh at the bottom
Inside driver door panel is coming off and won't snap back on
Electronic glitches, car randomly honks when turn it off and go to get it out (weird stuff like that)
When pulling a trailer random pop/bang noise from outside underneath of car (for sure it's not trailer or ball)
Are you happy with your purchase: Yes

Year:....... 2013
Trim:....... XLT
FWD vs 4WD:........FWD
Current mileage:........4000
Any problem or issue: .........Yes - transmission slips in 1st gear, engine doesn't respond when trying to accelerate quickly from low speeds (like when pulling onto the road in traffic - not related to trans issue), noisy at highway speed
Are you happy with your purchase: Not particularly
Would you recommend new EX for others: Probably not

I've had the car since Sept and just put the last 1,000 miles on it during a road trip last week. When I drove it home from the lot after the initial purchase, it was leaking transmission fluid. It had a cracked pipe/hose of some sort, which was quickly repaired. I was extremely happy with the service, but now it's back at the dealer for the issues stated above. I'm extremely disappointed and am wondering why I didn't just buy another GMC Yukon.

I have been searching some information regarding new explorer reliability, but i can not find enough information. Therefore, I like to start a survey here.
Please respond below questions. This should give us some idea about new explorer(2011-13). Thank you.
Year:..2013.....
Trim:XLT....
FWD vs 4WD:4WD.......
Current mileage:1094........
Any problem or issue: NO.........
Are you happy with your purchase:YES
Would you recommend new EX for others:YES

note: I wondering if any explorer out there that already passed 100K miles?

Year: 2013 - built Oct 2013
Current mileage: 6900Km
Any problem or issue: Oil leak from transfer cases (recall - repaired under warranty), ongoing issue with GPS (but not dealt with - haven't tried taking it in to investigate yet).
Are you happy with your purchase: YES - love the power, handling for it's size and options.
Would you recommend new EX for others: Yes, but like any vehicle purchase make sure it's what you want and need.

I'll add this

Things would like to see changed or added: HID/xenon/LED headlights, driver's dead pedal position improvement, top view camera for parking, heated rear-seats and built-in rear-seat sunshades, add in a gyroscope for the GPS so that it'll track properly. More color options for the Sport - I've got silver but would have liked the grey or a deeper blue instead.

Things would like to see changed or added: HID/xenon/LED headlights, driver's dead pedal position improvement, top view camera for parking, heated rear-seats and built-in rear-seat sunshades, add in a gyroscope for the GPS so that it'll track properly. More color options for the Sport - I've got silver but would have liked the grey or a deeper blue instead.

I agree with every bit of this!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Year: 2011 (Late 2010 build)
Trim: XLT
Current mileage: 23,150
Any problem or issue:
  • A-Pillar Buzz
  • Driver's seat leather problem
  • replaced cooling fans
  • exhaust odor
  • water in driver's side mirror
  • crackling in passenger's side front midrange speaker
  • MFT issues until the latest 2 upgrades
  • oil streaks on windows
  • bad rear defroster
  • Door over console opening was stuck shut
  • USB port inoperative
  • Grinding noise on braking

Are you happy with your purchase: Yes... for the most part. Not happy with all the problems in a new vehicle, but Lake Ford in Lewistown PA has taken care of every issue without a hassle and all the issues I've listed no longer exist.

Back