• Register Today It's free!

Relocate Rear Abs/Vss Sensor??

Justawajz

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Mountaineer
Ok, so I searched around and found some info but not to the extent I was looking for. My Mountaineer was in a accident a few weeks back and the rear axle substained some damage to the spider gears and the carrier. A buddy of mine suggested I buy his detroit locker off him he had in is Mustang and put that in. Now the locker is awesome, drives alittle rough on the road but that's not why I wanted it. One thing I noticed after he put it in is my abs light is always on. He said it's because theres no "tone ring" on the locker. He said I can get one but you have to pull the carrier out and it prob has to be pressed on. Now I did a 4406 transfter case swap a few years back and it has a vss sensor on the output for the rear drive shaft. Is there any way to adapt that signal or is it toatly different from the rear diff mounted one? I know superlift makes an adapter that can modify these signals to acount for different tire sizes/gears. Wasnt sure if this could be used in such an application. Also I was thinking should I just say screw abs and yank the fuse and pull the light from the dash and just be done with it? Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump?

My implementation of moving the tone ring to the t-case:
The progress has been sloooow these past few weeks.

But among other little things (like driveshaft lenghtening, transmission mounts, etc..), the latest thing I've done was the transfer-case E-brake and the tone ring for the RABS.

Two pics of the entire thing mounted to the transfer case (minus the brake pads):

ebrake_02.jpg

ebrake_01.jpg

A shot of the tone ring welded to the BW-1354 output flange. The ring was made from an old Dana 44 carrier bearing race.

ebrake_tonering_03.jpg

Two shots of the tone ring and the ABS sensor:

ebrake_tonering_01.jpg

ebrake_tonering_02.jpg

The sensor was kept independant of the transfer-case brake becasue the cage that the caliper is bolted to might flex when the E-brake is applied which could crash the sensor head onto the tone-ring's set of teeth. So the sensor was instead bolted directly to the transfer case's casing.

And one that a company actually makes:
Since this is related:

Apparently someone makes an output flange for the t-case with in grooves for a tone ring. The pics below are on a full-size Bronco's transfer case so I dunno if these guys make output flanges for the 1345/4405s or whatever (give em a call, they might even be the same flange). But here's the contact info and some pics for anyone swapping out the Ford 8.8:

California PreFun
(909) 845-8820

vss.jpg

vss_2.jpg

Yanked from this DR build thread :):
http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74698

i had put a tone ring into a ford 9" axle for my 1990 f-150

the tone ring out of an 8.8 axle fit right on the carrier of the 9" axle.
axleworkpics040.jpg

I welded tabs to the tone ring to pick up the gear bolts and tied it in there too just to be safe.

had to make a few slight mods to the axle housing.
axleworkpics037.jpg

axleworkpics038.jpg

cut a hole and weld a tube just long enough for the sensor to pick up the tone ring.

axleworkpics041.jpg

ground the edge of the housing to let the tone ring pass by with out rubbing any metal.

it worked perfectly! it shouldn't be that hard to do. you just need a tone ring that will fit on the locker center section next to the ring gear

My implementation of moving the tone ring to the t-case:

And one that a company actually makes:

Thanks this is what I was looking for. Im guessing the sensor in the case is different. Although I would be worried that dirt could geton the sensor mounted on the outside..? Mabey give false readings..? I dunno. Looks like it would work well though.

Wow, you went all out on that man. Turnd out great. I was hoping not to have to pull the locker out.. somthing about gears just freakes me out. That's why I've had myh buddy to the gears and the locker in the first place. Seems like there's no room for error in setting everything up. I gotta see what's more economical to do. Get a tone ring that works with the locker or do a remote set up like above.

i had put a tone ring into a ford 9" axle for my 1990 f-150

the tone ring out of an 8.8 axle fit right on the carrier of the 9" axle.
axleworkpics040.jpg

I welded tabs to the tone ring to pick up the gear bolts and tied it in there too just to be safe.

had to make a few slight mods to the axle housing.
axleworkpics037.jpg

axleworkpics038.jpg

cut a hole and weld a tube just long enough for the sensor to pick up the tone ring.

axleworkpics041.jpg

ground the edge of the housing to let the tone ring pass by with out rubbing any metal.

it worked perfectly! it shouldn't be that hard to do. you just need a tone ring that will fit on the locker center section next to the ring gear

actually I have a spare center section for the 9" in the garage. while I was setting one up for the sensor/tone ring I was running the truck with the other center section.

I only registered to congratulate you on accomplishing something that I don't think even Currie has yet - adding an ABS sensor to a 9". I still think the 9 is inferior to the 8.8, but that doesn't make your work any less impressive. Now, when someone asks me about swapping a 9 into a late-model truck, I won't be able to use the argument "You'll lose ABS, cruise, & speedo" any more! :D

well thank you!

I'm glad some one appreciates ingenuity.

my next feat is putting ABS sensors on my dana44 front axle to pick up all the sensors needed to make it work in my explorer

Back