• Register Today It's free!

relocating cruise control buttons

Drummer1

Reaction score
City, State
Cave Creek ,Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6L Limited
I have a 1993 Mazda Navajo and I want to install a new steering wheel,but,I don't want to lose my cruise crontrol(s), my intentions are to relocate them to the dash or an easily accessable place,can this be done?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back in the day when I was installing automatic starters and aftermarket cruise controls we would use the factory CC stalk for some people that didn't mind paying the extra. You could back then buy a CC pad with the controls that was meant to be mounted on the dash. If you really wanted to you could just use a couple momentary contact switches wired correctly...

The horn cover is easy to remove and unwrap and the cruise control buttons are easy to remove. Isolate the wires that are used for the cruise and move them elsewhere.

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I'm not worried about any of the "relocation" of the buttons,my concern was if there are any "components" in the steering wheel that the cruise needs to work.So let me see if I got this-all I will need to do is separate the buttons,mount them "somewhere" and wire them up (correctly of course)?

The buttons have resistors built in so each one provides a different voltage drop to the cruise module, which cuts down on the number of wires needed. As long as you get the buttons out and get the wires right, you should have no problem so long as you solder the wires so they have a good connection. There is only 2 wires you need to worry about.... and tap the black wire going to the column, don't cut it, the horn needs it to work.

picture15xt1.png

Back