Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I need to relocate my rear shocks because I keep damaging them in the stock location. I have removed the rear sway bar and want to locate the shock mount where the sway bar used to connect to the axle. I checked it out and I need to make a angled bracket that sticks out 3-4 inches from the rear of the axle to keep the same angle of the stock position. Or, I can make it easier and change the angle of the shocks. If I change the angle of the shocks, does it effect the ride? If so, in what way? I know I need shorter shocks when its finished.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After watching you!

Hey Brian, after watching you on the trail, and you showing the problem you have with knocking the end cap off the bottom of the shock, I designed my own shock mount set up. I am buying a couple of sets of stock shock mounts to modify. Ray's mount's are great...just a little pricey for me. If you want a set...let me know. Will work something out...ie: a great deal on those new rock slider nerfs!!!! Or better yet, I can show you what I'm doing, and your brother-in-law could do the same thing.

Shock Mounts

Hey Brian,

Did you happen to look at my rear lower mounts / skidplates when we were at T-Haven last week? I modified the stock plates a bit with some cutting and then welding new plates inside the old ones, so I could reverse and invert the mounting plates. (You still have the spring under set up like I do don't you?) This configuration makes the shock attaching tabs on the plates point upward instead of down, so they don't hit, and it also changes the angly slightly, and so far no shock damage....although if I hit anymore of your "bumps" like the one on Pole Line Rd., I may take the whole undercarriage out :)

You and your brother in law should be able to fab something easily. I'll try to get you some pics, if you're intrested, but I don't have a digi-cam, so I havn't been having much luck posting pics here.

WOW, did I get a lot of imformation!! I talked to my brother in-law, metal dude and general mechanic. He says it will be easy to just fab a steel plate with a couple of runners to guard the U-bolts and nuts, then make some mounts for my shocks with the same angle as stock so I don't have to re-align the upper mounts. The shocks will need to be about 2" shorter when its finished, but thats okay, since they are about shot anyway. He figures it will cost me about ten bucks worth of steel plate and welding supplies, a 12 pack of beer, and a few hours of my day off.

I need new U-bolts as well, since that last trip to Truckhaven bent 2 and broke 1 of the right side bolts. Should have the new shock mounts ready by next trip. Maybe my rear bumper will be finished too, but its not looking too good with X-mas coming-up so fast.

Will have some fab'd front sway bar quick disconnects too. I looked at the one's for the jeep and decided to make my own out of the original brackets since the jeep's are straight and the Explorer's are slightly angled.

Whoever is interested in the San Diego area; My brother in-law's name is Scott and he is very creative when it comes to this kind of stuff. He is using my truck as a test vehicle and could make more if there is interest and a little cash in it. He takes a while because he works as a mechanic full time and this is a side type job/hobby. He also makes metal and glass tables, furniture, grills, etc..

See ya in the dirt!!

Back