• Register Today It's free!

Remanufactured Engines

edselman

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas Nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4 Door XLT 4X2
I am considering a remanufactured engine for my 1993 ford explorer. The old one took a massive dump in 2000, and sits at the side of the house since. Crack in the block, and the heads are probably trashed. Research I have done basically indicates that the 4.0 is in this time line:

Basically, I have a overbored 2.9. Now, I want to know if a engine place remanufactures, not rebuilds a 4.0 engine. I want quality parts used, thicker head castings (since the olds ones commonly would crack, and leak coolant into the engine, killing it, or dumping it out the exhaust pipe) and a block that I know won't be cracked. Is there a reputable company who remanufactures these engines? I don't want some junkyard engine with new parts shoved at me. I want a quality one. How can I tell if they are using the better parts, not the standard problem chocked garbage parts?

Fords wants to sell me a engine, and install it for about $6000+ dollars, far more then the value of the car. It's better left rotting then paying that outrageous price. I still might get the same problem also :fire:

Any suggestions?

Dane

edit: everything I have read indicates that alot of the problems that plagued the 2.9 got carried over to the 3.0, and 4.0. I could get new heads for a 2.9, what about a 4.0? I basically want a turn key engine, and it's fine if I would have to provide a few parts to bolt on. It's the block and heads that are molten metal on the explorer parked at the side. I want the engine 20 years down the road to be falling out at 200,000+ miles, not 64,000 like this last one! :nono:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got a remanufactured engine from NAPA, $1,850, $550 to swap in the new engine. That was 3-years ago, no problems.

FYI the 3.0L is a completely different engine from the 2.9L and 4.0L OHV.

The 2.9L and 4.0L are members of the 60 degree Cologne V6 engines, the 3.0L is not (apples to oranges)

the 2.9L is a VERY reliable engine, the only downfall was the TFI module in the igntion. The 4.0L has an excellent ignition system (Ford DIS).
Heads crack due to heat. If the engine overheats you can expect to have heads crack or gaskets leak.
ZThe 4.0L is not an overbored 2.9L, there are several differences in the blocks, but yes it is true the 4.0L is basically a reworked 2.9L 60 degree block.
The Cologne 60 family goes like this:
2.6L, 2.8L, 2.9L, 4.0L OHV, 4.0L SOHC

The 2.9L and 4.0L are two of the most reliable and bulletproof engines Ford ever made. The OHV 4.0L is a work horse and they go FOREVER with proper maintnence.

Now of course freak things do happen, lemons are built, and problems do occur, but mostly the 4.0L is an Excellent engine.

Have you tried calling local engine shops for a quote?

When you say your 93 took a "massive dump" with a cracked block, what do you mean? Where is the crack?

If I was in your shows I would take the 93 Block out and have it rebuilt, as long as it doesnt have any cracks or holes in the block.
You are assuming alot by saying the heads are probably trashed,

The only negative feedback I have ever heard about a remaned 4.0L is one from jasper engines.

I had mine replaced by Ford under warranty. I had the option of replacing the hoses, belts and ignition wires. Being the truck had 67,000mi. on it, I elected to have them changed. If the engine had not been covered by warranty, I would have went somewhere else. I lucked out, those Idiots didn't screw anything up. They only broke a headlight bulb during the installation.There are plenty of qualified engine replacement shops around just do some research!

$6000?? Last summer, my Ford dealer quoted me ~$3200 to install a remanufactured Motorcraft long block, and that price was about the same as other independent shops were quoting me. I ended up choosing an engine from ATK (www.atkengines.com). I would get some other quotes from other shops.
And if you want real control over the rebuild, find a shop who will rebuild the existing block rather than doing the remaufactured block thing. It will cost about the same, will take a little longer, but you will be able to specify what kind of rebuild you want, any modifications you want to make, etc.

The crack is in the #4 cylinder in the block. I keep meaning to tear the engine down, and analyze it (and learn alot in the process) It exhibits the classic bubbles in the radiator. It was so bad when we limped home, and put the hood up, scalding hot radiator fluid was shooting out the recovery tank, and it was hissing alot. Lots of bubbles and heat in the overflow tank also. If I bought a reman. from say napa, would I have to provide any parts off the old engine, or just drop it in? What exactly comes with the remade engine?

Who has a better warranty on one if it decides to go north like the old one? (Make them foot the bill) Putting a 3.9L cummins into the explorer would be cool, but I would probably be banging my head against the wall at the dmv trying to get it registered/smogged.

Dane

unclemeat said:
I got a remanufactured engine from NAPA, $1,850, $550 to swap in the new engine. That was 3-years ago, no problems.

your a/c works fine also? It never really worked in the explorer we have, (off the showroom floor) and it just bogged it down. Gaudin Ford (The Local Dealership) Never understood what the problem was either with the heating/cooling. :banghead:

Dane

If i had headers installed on a remanufactured engine do you think it would void the warranty??

If you buy an engine from Napa it will most likely be a short or long block. That means you'll have to put on a LOT of your parts from your cooked engine. Things like; ignition, fuel rails, wiring, intake, exhaust manifold, all accessories, hoses, and lots of other little things. If you want an easy swap, buy a used one from a wrecking yard. You can get most everything that way. Of course you'll be putting in a used engine. But, the rest of your truck is used too and isn't going to last forever.

all i know is that the 4.0 ohv is one of the best engines ever with the right care. my explorer engine has 230,000 miles on it and dosnt smoke or give me the slightest bit of problems. i just get the oil changed every 2000 miles and drive her nice and she keeps running fine.

My AC has been replaced about 4-years after I bought my X. A specialty shop did the work. The stock system was bad. Snap fittings that Ford used would just fall apart. The AC shop guys were making a living off replacing Ford AC systems.

If I had to get a new engine I would just go with the 5.0.

xmodster3o3 said:
If I had to get a new engine I would just go with the 5.0.
You should know what a PITA it is to get a different engine smogged in CA.

Not that i've done this but I know some people that slip the smog tester some money to look the other way. I say around 20 bucks should do the job. But it's not a sure deal, I know i could get away with it since i know someone who does smog checks.

Gaudin Ford is a joke, they took in my X for 3 days to take care of recall items and never touched the truck. Pick up a Nifty Nickel and look at the ads. Last time I looked there was someone in town that has 4.0's for $1800.

Back