• Register Today It's free!

Remote access

99RedEx

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLS
Hello, I have a used 99 Explorer and assumed it came equipped with remote access. The dealership said they did not have any remotes for it at the time of purchase, and I proceeded to buy one. I referenced the owners manual and tried several times to get it into program mode, but the power door locks did not cycle at every attempt. How can I verify that it does have keyless entry option, and if not, how do I upgrade it to remote access? Is there a plug in module for this option? Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, it doesn't, I thought it was a separate option that Ford offered???

It may not have a keypad on the door but you should also look in the drivers rear jack storage compartment to see wheter or not you see the RAP module. Its a gray box.

On 3rd gens you can tell by getting in the X, shut door and then cycle the key between on and start(Don't turn it over but the one before it. Does that make sense? Should probably get off my butt and look to see what they are labeled) quickly 8-9 times. If you have it the locks will lock. If nothing happens then you don't.
At least that is what the stealership told me, seemed to work.

99RedEx said:
No, it doesn't, I thought it was a separate option that Ford offered???

Without the keypad, I don't believe that you gave the remote system.

However, it can be added.

They did have the factory or dealer added keyless entry without a keypad. I've seen a few 2nd gens setup that way.

Blee1099 said:
They did have the factory or dealer added keyless entry without a keypad. I've seen a few 2nd gens setup that way.

Interesting; I have never seen or heard of it . He may be in luck then.

I did look in the rear jack storage compartment and did see a black looking module with a wire harness connected to it, but was not grey. Not sure if it's the RAP module. Is the RAP module all I need to upgrade the X to remote access????

My daughters Taurus came without keypad or remotes but using the above method found out it once had them. Went to dealer, $38 later had remote

I have the remotes, but don't know if my X has the remote system at all? I'll have pay a visit to the dealer to make sure.

Thanks everyone

Did you try the cycle on/off 9 times? What happened?

Yes, i tried 8 and 9 ignition cycles and nothing happened. The locks did not lock and unlock. That's why i question if my X even has the remote/keyless entry system?

Back