Remote & Driver Door Switch Won't Unlock Door | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote & Driver Door Switch Won't Unlock Door

almondj

Reaction score
City, State
NW Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer V8 EB
Hello,

I've done some searching around the forums here to find a potential solution in regards to my 98 explorer (eddie bauer):

Pressing the unlock button on the driver side door does nothing, the unlock button on the remote does nothing as well.

The lock buttons work and the unlock button on the passenger side works. When pressing the unlock button on the remote or driver door, their is no sound. Because the issue is effecting the remote, I do not believe that it is the switch. To test this, I took the door panel off and tried connecting the wires to trigger the unlock switch (no matter the combination (2 black, one red/black, two others that were red with stripes) the door will not unlock), but was unsuccessful, I could only get the doors to lock.

I was trying to find a relevant wiring diagram, but wasn't quite sure what I was looking at. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very common issue. Does the switch by the liftgate work?? First place to look is at the splice at the driver side rear door under the threshold. Do some searching and you will find pictures, etc.

Great source for wiring diagrams:
Auto - Online Repair Info
http://search.ebscohost.com/
Login ID: rrcc
Login PW: rebsco
Select: Auto Repair Reference Center
Fill in: Find Your Vehicle
Follow prompts down to Wiring Diagrams.

Good luck.

I just wanted to update this thread. I was able to get into all the wires from the door to just behind the seat. I connected the Pink-green (unlock) with a separate wire to find where the connection would eventually stop working.

What I found was where I had a remote starter installed, and where that starter box hooked into the pink-green wire, there was some serious corrosion in the pink-green wire just below that (the copper in the wire was pretty much a green dust). I simply cut the pink-green in half and connected the good ends of the wire again and everything is working again!

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back