Remote entry/key fob questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote entry/key fob questions

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
A couple of questions for those in the know …

I want a couple of additional key fob remotes. I looked on E Bay and found a plethora.

First question: This is a quote from an E Bay auction …”Model 3B:F87B-15K601-AB 4B:F87B-15K601-BB FCC ID: GQ43VT11T CAN : 1470 102 326
If your FCC number matches this and your remote looks the same, then this remote will work for you!“
Is it essential to have matching FCC numbers?

Next question: Do you have to reprogram existing ( working ) remotes when you program new remotes?

Thanks in advance….

Attachments

• c3_2.jpg
    c3_2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 5,643

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, from what i've read elsewhere, and what Ford says (not that that means much), the FCC ID #s must match.

No, you will not need to reprogram your existing remotes when you add others.

BuffaloXplorer said:
Yes, from what i've read elsewhere, and what Ford says (not that that means much), the FCC ID #s must match.

If thats true, and from what I ( and you ) have found, it is, then how on Earth can one replace lost fobs ( not knowing what the FCC # happens to be )?

Your existing units should have it stamped on the backside. If not, maybe crack it open and check (?) - i bought additional units for mine and i just matched up the #s on the backside of the case.

BuffaloXplorer said:
Your existing units should have it stamped on the backside. If not, maybe crack it open and check (?) - i bought additional units for mine and i just matched up the #s on the backside of the case.

I understand that.

But what if one lost all of the existing fobs .... how would they replace them w/o having an FCC number?

I'm guessing that there is a corresponding FCC # on the RAP module in the jack compartment? Sounds reasonable (?) - but again, we're talking about Ford and electronics.

[after looking back at your second post - i have to admit that i must have completely ignored what you had written, or i would have SEEN that you specifically mentioned that in that instance one would not have the keyfob to reference]

the way to do it is just like programing a new one with existing ones. I had to do that on my 2002 and my 1995 both came without any.

can not totally remember as it had instructions in the box. but you know the key on key off key on and i think a total of 6 times and then you hear the doors lock and unlock. then you press one button on each remote and the doors will then cycle again. and I believe that is all there is too it.

Al, what are you trying to get from this thread? Whether or not the keyfob you've found on eBay will work with your setup? The way you worded your original question seems like you already have one and need more. The ebay auction stated what the back of the fob read.

If you don't have any, did you check the rap module for a FCC ID or other codes? PM someone with a 99 for the FCC id/other #s on theirs, i'll bet it's the same.

Good luck.

I want to know:

(1) the importance of matching FCC numbers
(2) I have 1 fob already, do I need to reprogram it with the new ones?

I do not want to program my new fobs until I find out if I have to reprogram the existing one at the same time.

like i said if you have one you need to reprogram them all again at the same time. Jut a matter of tapping one of the buttons.

Just had to do that recenty when I bought 2 new onew off of ebay when one of mine died..

So yes you need to program the new one and the old one at the same time.. I have bought 2 different kinds on ebay and honestly never checked the fcc numbers as long as the button layoput was the same they worked for me..

The ford #on my factory fob is F8DB-15K601-AA. The "AA" may be a revision number and not mater. And the FCC ID IS CWTWB1U212. Another good source of info is a dealer.

Al did you ever decide what you are going to do.

Like i said i have bought both for y 2002 and my 1995 and never even considered any of the FCC number on the back of it..
Just a little thought for you that i really do not think it matters as much as you might think.
as long as it is the style remote for your year.
like my 1995 is the 3 button and my 2002 didn;t matter as long as it was the 4 button style.

thanks and good luck in what you choose.
Let us know.

aldive said:
I want to know:

(2) I have 1 fob already, do I need to reprogram it with the new ones?

I do not want to program my new fobs until I find out if I have to reprogram the existing one at the same time.

Al I do know the answer to your 2nd question.
Yes you have to reprogram all key fobs at one time. When the battery died out on my key fob, and I replaced the battery on it, I tried just reprogramming the one that I replaced the battery. It worked, but now the other one didn't work. I reprogrammed the other, and it started working, but then the one that I replaced the batteries in didn't. A quick call to the dealer and they told me that you have to reprogram all of them at the same time, or it won't work. I did this, and they both work now.
Can't help you on the other question.

Same thing I said!!!

i bought a used 98 sport about a year ago and i dont know if i was supposed to have a remote
if i am where can i get one with matching fcc because i dont have one to start with
how do i know if it originally had a remote?

On a 98 Sport, you need one that looks like this:

88cd_1_b.jpg

NOT like this:

16fd_2.jpg

FCC ID is unimportant. I have two remotes for both my vehicles, and the FCC ID numbers do not match up between them, but they work. The remote for a 98 Explorer will also work on numerous other vehicles, including the Expeditions, Navigators, F-150s, etc, as wella s a few of the cars as well. The difference will be that the Expy/Navi had a separate button to release the rear window, so although an Explorer remote will unlock the doors, it's wouldn't have the ability to open the window on an Expedition.

Keypad on the door is not necessarily an indication of the RKE... more specifically, it's possible to have the RKE, but no keypad on the door. They didn't make many of them that way, but they did make them. If it has a keypad, it'll have the RKE.

-Joe

Back