Remote entry question (RAP Module) | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Remote entry question (RAP Module)

craftsman67

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Spring NC.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I got curious a while back when a friend said I probably had remote entry, even tho I have no key pad on the door on my 98 Sport...So I bought a $10 key fob...ebay of coarse. I found the program method on here, and tried it several times with no luck...tried it with the 8 times I've read on here, and the 5 times it says in my owners manual...Long story short, I went looking for the RAP module in the jack compartment...no RAP! So I gave up a while, until now. I just removed the passenger's side airbag and looked there...no RAP! This is what was there. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Ford-R...y-OEM-/110597164024?item=110597164024&vxp=mtr ...Can I just replace this with a RAP module...or is there a lot more to it to get remote door locks? Are the cheap aftermarket ones ok? All I want is remote door locks, not the keypad or anything else.

Thanks!
Scott.

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

craftsman67

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Spring NC.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
<

<

craftsman67

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Spring NC.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I never liked the looks of a keypad anyway...I used to drive a 2005 F-150 that had one, and thought it would look MUCH better without it ...I never used it anyway. I always used the fob...didn't even memorize the #...

<

MountainSplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Sarasota, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 X EB SOHC 4x4
I never liked the looks of a keypad anyway...I used to drive a 2005 F-150 that had one, and thought it would look MUCH better without it ...I never used it anyway. I always used the fob...didn't even memorize the #...

I use mine on occasion, but I agree I use my key fob on my car not the pad, I don't care about the look either way, but I do wish it was in the B pillar and integrated, unlike the focus where its a big chunk of plastic hanging off the door.

<

craftsman67

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Spring NC.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I use mine on occasion, but I agree I use my key fob on my car not the pad, I don't care about the look either way, but I do wish it was in the B pillar and integrated, unlike the focus where its a big chunk of plastic hanging off the door.

I forgot the newer ones had it there.Do they even have a keyed lock access?...they don't, do they? I haven't looked that closely at them...Way out of my price range, for now anyways.

<

craftsman67

Reaction score
City, State
Willow Spring NC.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
Best $14.30 I ever spent!...I now have Keyless Entry. It was a fairly easy install too. The directions...or should I say the lack of, were only a couple of schematics, but they were sufficient.

<