• Register Today It's free!

Remote oil filter installation

Garth Olson

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XL
I would like to install a remote oil filter system on a 98 V6 4.0L. However there is not much room in the engine compartment. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take a look between the radiator and grill. You may have to install a piece of angle iron between the frame rails to mount it. The only drawback is the limited space getting your arm behind the lower air dam. You may also want to take a look for space on the frame rails in the tranny area.

Have you thought about possibly relocating the windshield washer reservoir/coolant overflow tank?

Just curious. why are you going remote?
Are you wanting to put some skidplates under your pan?

remote oil filter

That's what I was thinking, move or replace the washer/over flow tanks. Not putting in a skid plate just trying to make it easier to change oil....thanks for the responses.

Garth,

Keep us posted on your findings. billfish installed an AMSOIL Dual Remote system on his explorer. I believe it is mounted on the frame rail between the radiator and grill on the passenger side.

98's must be alot different than the 94. I thought changing oil on mine couldn't be any easier. I'm not too big, so I just slide under it, drain the pan, break filter loose, punch a hole in filter to drain it below top, swap filters, fill and roll. Don't forget to allow room for a filter wrench (in case she binds up) and a clear overflow path onto something you don't care about for any drips during the change. Standing upright to do it would be an improvement, I guess.

Back