Remote start extra key cost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote start extra key cost

tmrm

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing a 2011 Explorer Limited. It only comes with one remote starter. The dealer said he'd add one for $500.00 or I can get one on my own after the vehicle is purchased. (Dealer is not local) I've called a couple of local dealers, but they say they would need to see the original key to know what I need. Any ballpark ideas as far as cost? This is all new to me. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dealer is full of sheet! The Limited comes with two of the exact same IA keys and the remote start is on the key.

Check to make sure the dealer is not thinking of an after market remote start system OR the remote start system for the XLT trim package. Either way, $500 seems VERY steep. The complete bi-directional remote start system can be bought for half the cost of what your dealer is saying a key costs.
http://www.partscheap.com/2011-2012-Ford-Explorer-Remote-Start-p/bb5z-19g364-e.htm

Might want to look for a new dealer to purchase from if he is trying to scam you out of money!

Assuming this is a used 2011, it makes sense that there may only be 1 key included. I purchased an extra off ebay new for $45 that had the physical key missing. The dealer charged $20 to cut and add a new physical key. If you only have 1 key you will have to get a dealer to program a 2nd, as you can only do it yourself if you have 2 working keys. A dealer should charge no more than $50 for that.

Either way do not pay $500 for an extra key. Get the Ex in your possession and then take it from there. Even if you bought everything from your local dealer it should never come anywhere near $500.

Thanks so much! Yes, it is a used 2011 that only came into their dealership with one starter key. It's not a Ford dealer, so they said the $500.00 was including their cost to go down the street to the Ford dealer and get another one made. It has the 302A spec package, so it is the remote start system that comes with that. I just now let them know that I would not be paying the extra $$$. I'll get it handled on my own before I do that.

I've owned Explorers for many years, but I'm on a learning curve here with all the new technology. Thanks again.

Thanks so much! Yes, it is a used 2011 that only came into their dealership with one starter key. It's not a Ford dealer, so they said the $500.00 was including their cost to go down the street to the Ford dealer and get another one made. I just now let them know that I would not be paying the extra $$$. I'll get it handled on my own before I do that.

I've owned Explorers for many years, but I'm on a learning curve here with all the new technology. Thanks again.

Someone is walking around with the other IA key and can start the vehicle!
Unless it got lost.
They should take it to ford and reprogram IA.

I got a third key with mine and I believe it was $140 but I did program the key to car myself. It's really easy and it only took a couple of minutes.

Thanks again. They said since they were going to take it to the Ford dealer to have the MFT update done, that they would 'only' charge me $300.00 for the remote start key. I think I'm going to go ahead and have them get it done.
I had asked them if the updates to MFT had been done, and also to check any other tsb's.

Back