• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Issue

mainjet

Reaction score
City, State
Lowell, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi folks. I'm having an issue with my remote start on my 2013 Explorer XLT. This is a factory remote start with a separate single button FOB.

The issue: The car starts like it should with the remote but then the horn starts honking. I read somewhere that I should put a key in the ignition and leave it turned off then try to start the car with the remote start. I did this and it worked fine without the horn honking. This leads me to believe there is something amiss with the bypass?

Adding to the back story is something that may or may not have anything to do with this issue. I got into the car one day and put the key into the ignition and when I went to turn the key the whole key cylinder pushed into the dash. I was unable to reach it the key to start the car. Thankfully I was able to remove the trim bezel around where the ignition would go which enabled me to get the key to the ignition and start the car. Once I got home, I removed the lower panel under the steering column and was able to snap the ignition back into position. I have no idea why it popped out. I am the original owner of the car which I bought new. Nothing was broken - it just popped out of the plastic retainer.

All that with the ignition happened in the summer and I was not using the remote start during that time. Now it's cold outside and I starting trying the remote start only to find that I have this issue.

Should I just take it to the dealer and have them fix it or is there something else I should be checking? I'm not sure what bypass I should even be buying for this since I do not know who the manufacturer is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Back