Remote start no longer working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote start no longer working

pup5581

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'14 Explorer Sport
Started today. Go to do it and you hear it try and turn over a bit like the fuel pump ect noise then doesnt and the horn will beep once then it will so like a very faint beep. Starting normal way is fine....

It goes to dealer in like 9 days so i will bring it up. Wonder if i should try to unhook battery for 10 min to reset?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have a CEL light on?

Started today. Go to do it and you hear it try and turn over a bit like the fuel pump ect noise then doesnt and the horn will beep once then it will so like a very faint beep. Starting normal way is fine....

It goes to dealer in like 9 days so i will bring it up. Wonder if i should try to unhook battery for 10 min to reset?

Due to emissions reasons. The remote start would not work if a Check Engine Light is on.

The owners manual give a list of stuff to check.

I have a 2013 Explorer and I am having the same issue. My remote start has been working for years. My problem started right after I had an oil change. I think the Mechanic reset my features to factory settings. On my remote I have to press the lock symbol 3 times to activate the remote start. Now when I press the lock button 3X the explore does every thing it has been doing up to when it is about to start, then the horn sounds. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Welcome to the Forum Rob.:wave:
Do you have the factory remote start or did you have to do something to enable it? Factory remote start only requires pressing the fob button 2 times. I don't see why anyone doing an oil change would have to do anything that would affect any settings except the one for the Oil Life Setting.

Peter

Thank you Peter.

It was installed at the dealer when I purchased the car new in 2013. The only reason I’m asking about the setting is because when I got back in the vehicle I noticed it was on the screen that said reset to factory settings.

Also when it fails to start and the horn sounds, It says "Starting System Fail" on the dash

I don't know why it would have been necessary to do a reset to factory settings. I would take it back and ask for an explanation and have them reactivate the remote start since it was working when you brought it in and they obviously changed that. The horn sounding and the message would be a normal function of the failed start.

Peter

I have a 2013 Explorer and I am having the same issue. My remote start has been working for years. My problem started right after I had an oil change. I think the Mechanic reset my features to factory settings. On my remote I have to press the lock symbol 3 times to activate the remote start. Now when I press the lock button 3X the explore does every thing it has been doing up to when it is about to start, then the horn sounds. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Rob

I don't *know* the answer however I would check two simple things first.
1. MIL light is off
2. Hood pin switch is not damaged and so is making good contact when the hood is closed.

Either of these will prevent the remote start working

Back