Remote Start Occasionally Shuts Off After a Few Seconds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Occasionally Shuts Off After a Few Seconds

lmmyslender

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
2013 Limited, bought used 3 months ago.

What I assume is the normal process: Hit lock button, lights flash, hit remote start button 2x, lights on, Explorer starts. (I don't know why I always have to hit the lock button first, even if it's already locked?)

Something like 70-75% of the time, the Explorer starts fine. The other times it shuts off in 5-10 seconds.

Sometimes, if I hit the lock button again, 2x remote start, it will start and keep running.

Other times, I hit the lock button, 2x on the remote start button, the lights flash, the horn sounds, and it refuses to start, until I get in it and start it normally.

I feel like I'm missing something simple here.

I don't know if it's related, but occasionally, it won't lock using the button on the handle or the keypad on the door. I usually have to pull out the remote to lock it when that happens.

Is this maybe related to the "shift to park" issue? I've only seen that come up once on the display, I jiggled the shifter and it went away.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to follow the prescribed procedure to remote start the vehicle regardless of whether it is already locked. The system has to recognize the "Lock" activation or it won't work. The horn sounding is an indication that the remote start feature was not successful. This is useful if the vehicle is out of sight when using the remote start. Although I could not find it in the 2013 Manual, there was a note saying that you can only use the remote start feature so many times within a given time frame. After that, you would have to allow a certain amount of time to pass before trying it again. I don't have an answer for the 10-15 second run/stop issue. Do you by any change leave anything plugged into the 12V power outlets in the console? Sometimes those have been know to interfere with signals from the key fob.
When I had my 2011 Ltd, quite often I had to go through the remote start procedure twice before it would start. The MKT works every time on the first try.

Peter

Something like 70-75% of the time, the Explorer starts fine. The other times it shuts off in 5-10 seconds.

Probably because you hit the remote start button a 3rd time (once too many). That shuts off the engine.

I don't know if it's related, but occasionally, it won't lock using the button on the handle or the keypad on the door. I usually have to pull out the remote to lock it when that happens.

Is this maybe related to the "shift to park" issue? I've only seen that come up once on the display, I jiggled the shifter and it went away.

Any ideas? Thanks.

The key pad is pretty finicky. The old style (prior to the 2011 redesign) push buttons were better. The touch pad is not sensitive enough.

New remote batteries may also help you. Yours are pushing 3 years in cold weather now.

Peter -

I assumed as much as far as having to hit the locking button (you don't have to do that on our Chrysler if it's already locked).

I also figured the horn is to let you know it didn't start, I just wondered if it indicated some kind of error/problem (ie door ajar, causing it to not start).

I do have a phone charger plugged into the armrest plug, I'll try unplugging that. Odd if it only affected it some of the time.

Bill -

No offense, I can count to 3 :D , fairly certain I'm not hitting it three times. Certainly not on a semi-regular basis.

Old batteries are a thought, but usually the keys are (and have been) inside with me for a while. Plus, it's definitely getting the signal as the lights flash, come on, and it does start.

I should also mention it happens with either of the two remotes. I did have an older car that I installed a remote start in. Sometimes if it was very cold, or hadn't been started in a while, you'd have to do it twice. This is more like when the old remote start didn't have the extra key hooked up. The car would run for a couple seconds, then the anti-theft features (no key present) would kick in and shut if off.

Thanks for the ideas.

Probably because you hit the remote start button a 3rd time (once too many). That shuts off the engine.
According to the Manual you have to press the 2X button twice to shut it off once it is remote started.

EDIT: In further reading I came across a place in the manual where it says;
Turning the Vehicle Off After Remote Starting
Press the button once. The parking lamps turn off.

Peter

Can't wait for the day they come out with 'thought control' to manipulate these functions. That and a built in, transparent screen on the windshield that will project a happy face when all goes well. :D :salute:

This morning, in the garage, it failed to start, 2nd try resulted in the horn sounding.

Today when leaving for lunch, it failed to start, 2nd try resulted in the horn sounding, when I got it, the left screen had the popup with "shift to park" in it.

After picking up lunch, remote start worked fine.

Definitely pressing remote start 2x will turn it off, if running.

This morning, in the garage, it failed to start, 2nd try resulted in the horn sounding.

Today when leaving for lunch, it failed to start, 2nd try resulted in the horn sounding, when I got it, the left screen had the popup with "shift to park" in it.

Looks like it may be time to replace the shifter.
https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375462&highlight=shift+park

Peter

If it doesn't think it is in park it definitely won't start. The owner's manual also contains a list of no start scenarios.

I agree time to have the shifter TSB done (replace assembly).

Remote Start followed by Engine Shutoff

2012 Explorer Limited V6 - 66,900 miles
I had the Shifter replaced for the SHIFT INTO PARK issue 2 days ago at Tomball Ford Dealership. (they were very pleasant and helpful at service writer desk)
AC Core was replaced 10 months ago.
EPAS Steering was replace about 18 months ago

A variation on the other Starting Issue threads...

If I remote start my Explorer, within 10 to 30 seconds the engine will shut off 95 out of 100 times. The one or two times it remotes starts correctly and does not shutdown, you do not have to press the brake to finish the sequence, just press start/stop to go into full mode. Distance from vehicle has no effect(next to or 500 feet away).

Starts with Start/Stop button correctly and you do have to depress the brake.

Already put a new battery in both remotes a few weeks ago to see if any effect...None.

Goes back to the shop Tuesday for try two at repairing the problem.

Any Ideas and Discussion on the cause ??

2012 Explorer Limited V6 - 66,900 miles
I had the Shifter replaced for the SHIFT INTO PARK issue 2 days ago at Tomball Ford Dealership. (they were very pleasant and helpful at service writer desk)
AC Core was replaced 10 months ago.
EPAS Steering was replace about 18 months ago

A variation on the other Starting Issue threads...

If I remote start my Explorer, within 10 to 30 seconds the engine will shut off 95 out of 100 times. The one or two times it remotes starts correctly and does not shutdown, you do not have to press the brake to finish the sequence, just press start/stop to go into full mode. Distance from vehicle has no effect(next to or 500 feet away).

Starts with Start/Stop button correctly and you do have to depress the brake.

Already put a new battery in both remotes a few weeks ago to see if any effect...None.

Goes back to the shop Tuesday for try two at repairing the problem.

Any Ideas and Discussion on the cause ??

When did this start happening? After the shifter was replaced?

Before. It was hoped that the shifter was the root problem. Looks to only have solved the SHIFT INTO PARK issue. Maybe a module dealing with remote start??

There are quite a few modules involved with this process.

Any messages on the instrument cluster when it turns off by itself? Anything else that you have noticed?

The thing that is getting me is not having to use the brake pedal. I don't know if it's a side effect or just coincidence.

Have you noticed your brake lights on at any time that you weren't in the car pressing on the pedal?

I wonder what happens if you have the brake pedal pushed in while trying to use the remote start. I'm kinda wondering if a faulty brake pedal switch could cause this.

Also, have you tried changing the instrument cluster value for max remote start engine run time? If its at 5 change to 10 or 15. If its at 15 change to 5 or 10, etc. If not try that.

Back