Remote Start Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Question

Fordy55

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I got an explorer about 2 months ago, the basic model.. and theres no remote start. It's cold in Jersey, and I was wondering if I can get a remote start put in? Can I bring it to the dealer and pay for the remote start/installation?

For those who have remote start; Does anyone have any input on the remote start? Is it worth it? Are there any problems with it?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got an explorer about 2 months ago, the basic model.. and theres no remote start. It's cold in Jersey, and I was wondering if I can get a remote start put in? Can I bring it to the dealer and pay for the remote start/installation?

For those who have remote start; Does anyone have any input on the remote start? Is it worth it? Are there any problems with it?

Thanks!
Are you in South jersey?

Central/North Jersey

If you want to take a ride to South Jersey, RT 88 in lakewood NJ call Auto Accents. They do a lot of work for Larson Ford in Lakewood. The day I was there they were doing a remote start for the dealer. They also did the running boards for my mom's 2012 EX

Ford Explorer Base

I bought one a month ago and asked multiple dealers and people about this.

When I asked my dealer about getting a remote start put in my 2012 explorer base, I was told that the 100 remote starter model from ford was the only one that will currently work with my explorer and that it was the only one that they could install. My aftermarket installer buddy also wouldn't touch it as they didn't have wiring diagrams for the 2012 car.

Has anyone heard of new wiring diagrams for the Ford Explorer 2012? I assumed they would be the same as the 2011 base, but who knows! No one will touch it yet since it's too new.

When I asked my dealer about getting a remote start put in my 2012 explorer base, I was told that the 100 remote starter model from ford was the only one that will currently work with my explorer and that it was the only one that they could install. My aftermarket installer buddy also wouldn't touch it as they didn't have wiring diagrams for the 2012 car.

Has anyone heard of new wiring diagrams for the Ford Explorer 2012? I assumed they would be the same as the 2011 base, but who knows! No one will touch it yet since it's too new.

So a Ford dealer can install it, but only the 100 remote start model? I guess it's better then nothing, right? Is the 100 model worth it?

The 100 remote start on the new Explorer pretty much just adds a module and a harness that jumpers in with the TPS module in the floor console. Then the vehicle is programmed with an IDS to enable remote start. These new ones don't wire in with a bunch of splices like the older Ford remote starts did. Might be a while before the aftermarket can make something work with these.

...When I asked my dealer about getting a remote start put in my 2012 explorer base, I was told that the 100 remote starter model from ford was the only one that will currently work with my explorer and that it was the only one that they could install...
So a Ford dealer can install it, but only the 100 remote start model? I guess it's better then nothing, right? Is the 100 model worth it?
jonredcorn & Fordy55,

Check out http://Accessories.Ford.com/vehicles/explorer/2012/electronics/remote-start.html for a list of the available Remote Start Systems on the 2012 Explorer.

Keep in mind that the Hood Switch Kit (BT4Z-19G366-A) is required if your vehicle is not equipped with a factory-installed hood switch.

The 100 remote start on the new Explorer pretty much just adds a module and a harness that jumpers in with the TPS module in the floor console. Then the vehicle is programmed with an IDS to enable remote start. These new ones don't wire in with a bunch of splices like the older Ford remote starts did. Might be a while before the aftermarket can make something work with these.
Thanks for taking the time to post that, Box. :)

Cory

Back