• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Remote start smart phone app ?

daverns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
Really? So you ran the harness around to the drivers side and plugged it into the OBD II plug under the steering wheel? Did it come with directions that detailed that? That seems odd because it would need to be unplugged to use the OBD port for any diagnostics. Must be a different version because the harness that came with mine had a much smaller plug than the OBD port.

Yes, the harness plugs into the OBD II port, This is a T harness, you have to remove the OBD II port from the IP Frame, then connect the T harness, one end of the T harness will basically replace the OBD II port which can be use for diagnostics. If you follow the link from Benny's post#197, it has the installation instructions that shows the details of the T harness connections.

The difference in the harness is probably because this is now sold separately and not a package (vss and rmu) as it was before. (just my guess)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

generaltso

Reaction score
City, State
Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited AWD
Yes, the harness plugs in to the OBD II port, This is a T harness, you have to remove the OBD II port from the IP Frame, then connect the T harness, one end of the T harness will basically replace the OBD II port which can be use for diagnostics. If you follow the link from Benny's post#197, it has the installation instructions that shows the details of the T harness connections.

The difference in the harness is probably because this is now sold separately and not a package (vss and rmu) as it was before. (just my guess)
Yeah, that's totally different. I see that those directions have you mount both boxes under the driver's side dash instead of behind the glove box. The VSS key programming process outlined in those directions was not required with the packaged kit.

daverns

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
Yeah, that's totally different. I see that those directions have you mount both boxes under the driver's side dash instead of behind the glove box. The VSS key programming process outlined in those directions was not required with the packaged kit.
I guess, as long as it works it's all good. By the way, how's the sensitivity of the security shock sensor? does it trigger when you kick your tires? I cannot get mine trigger by kicking the tires when sensitivity is set to max...

broken strut

Reaction score
City, State
CHIMOMAN VILLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 White Sport
The sensitivity on mine is maxed. A friend of mine slipped and slapped the bonnet with his hand. That set the alarm off

generaltso

Reaction score
City, State
Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
I guess, as long as it works it's all good. By the way, how's the sensitivity of the security shock sensor? does it trigger when you kick your tires? I cannot get mine trigger by kicking the tires when sensitivity is set to max...
Yeah, if it works it doesn't really matter where it is. I left the shock sensor disabled on mine. I didn't really see a need for it, and didn't want to deal with false alarms.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
I'm hearing we might see an enhanced version of the Remote Start App coming sometime in 2014. No timeline just a new App with access to more information on the App like Vehicle Health Report type data.

On* sends it to their App already.

Riley

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 XLT 4WD
The new Lincoln MKC comes with an embedded modem in the vehicle; using the app it allows you to program the time the vehicle remote starts. I sure hope this feature comes to the '16 Explorer.

generaltso

Reaction score
City, State
Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
I'm all for adding more functionality to the app as long as they don't raise the price. Chrysler charges $20 a month to be able to use their app, which is a ludicrous price. I'm fine with the $50 a year that Ford charges.

bigryanh

Reaction score
City, State
St. Albert Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
So I am finally having the Dealer install this as part of the original purchase deal. Dealer kept trying to install aftermarket "text" Start, which would force me to shut car off and re-starting before driving away due to the fact that I have keyless start. Many excuses used from parts not available to "are you sure that is what you want there is over a $300 annual fee"

It wasn't until I called their sister dealership and they confirmed that they have many parts in stock and annual fee is 49.95.

So one odd question the dealer asked is for both fobs, so that they could be re-programmed?

I don't recall any other discussions about having to re-program the fobs?

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
They dont need the fobs.

bigryanh

Reaction score
City, State
St. Albert Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
So I finally have this installed and personally love it. I have owned an aftermarket systems in the past, and they both perform similar functions, however I believe the factory ones have some advantages.

The factory remote start app mimics the regular remote starts features, with the addition of giving a runtime, and unlimited range. Additionally the automatic climate system works the same as original start system where if it is cold it will turn all heat functions on and if it is hot it will turn all the cooling functions on.

The drawbacks of the aftermarket systems are that with a keyless start option, you have to shut the car off and restart with the keyless system. The Ford Remote access will allow you to enter the car and depress brake and push start button and car will stay running.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
Has anyone figured out how to shut off the horn honk when using this App?

Door lock/unlock or remote start all sound the horn and late at night in the driveway this is annoying.

Im guessing its default and only by IDS tool can it be changed?

generaltso

Reaction score
City, State
Vermont
Year, Model & Trim Level
Has anyone figured out how to shut off the horn honk when using this App?
No, and I find that annoying too. Not sure why the setting for disabling the horn when using the fob doesn't also apply to the App. I hope they change that.

Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
All
If someone wants to PM me their info I can see if it's there within the RMU activation settings. Its been a few weeks since I did one so I do not remember.

-Benny

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
If someone wants to PM me their info I can see if it's there within the RMU activation settings. Its been a few weeks since I did one so I do not remember.

-Benny
What do you need Benny I will do it....?

dentalpain

Reaction score
City, State
Chipley, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2015 sport. If i add ONLY the vehicle security system DL3Z-19A361-A ; the only features I will pick up will be the shock sensor. As in someone has to physically bump (firmly) into my ex to make the alarm go off?

The product page make mention of an interior infrared contents sensor. So if my windows are down and someone reaches past the plane of the door, the alarm will sound? Just trying to see what $150 gets me before ordering.

Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
All
I have a 2015 sport. If i add ONLY the vehicle security system DL3Z-19A361-A ; the only features I will pick up will be the shock sensor. As in someone has to physically bump (firmly) into my ex to make the alarm go off?

The product page make mention of an interior infrared contents sensor. So if my windows are down and someone reaches past the plane of the door, the alarm will sound? Just trying to see what $150 gets me before ordering.
Yes correct,

The proximity info was transposed from Ford's accessory site but we have found this info to be false and will remove it from all mentions.

-Benny

nitzer51

Reaction score
City, State
seattle
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer LTD
I'm hearing we might see an enhanced version of the Remote Start App coming sometime in 2014. No timeline just a new App with access to more information on the App like Vehicle Health Report type data. On* sends it to their App already.
I was hoping they would update our apps. It also shows more info like real time climate control.

I really hope they update our apps and that our modems have this connectivity already... They have to throw us a bone somewhere since i don't think they will allow our systems to upgrade to the QNX version of myford touch... Lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer SPORT
I was hoping they would update our apps. It also shows more info like real time climate control.

I really hope they update our apps and that our modems have this connectivity already... They have to throw us a bone somewhere since i don't think they will allow our systems to upgrade to the QNX version of myford touch... Lol
All my info is that we will not be left behind we just may not have the full functionality of the next gen QNX version. When the top guys at Ford recognized that MFT was released too early they gave strong indications they would make it right to customers.

I seriously thought we were going to see one more update before that change though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Remote start puts driver seat into cool mode in below 0 temperature 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 11
N Remote Start Key Part Number? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
C Factory remote start issue 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 13
2 Remote start - only center audio when driving 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
S Remote start help. Intermittent 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
K 2013 Ford Explorer 200 Plug In Play Remote Start Key Fob not working 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 4
W 2017 Explorer D.I.Y. Remote Start.. 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 18
D 2016 Ford Cellular Remote Start - app is clunky - but it works 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 0
L Remote Start Occasionally Shuts Off After a Few Seconds 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 13
N Remote Start Apple Watch 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 7
J Have you installed the remote start on a base model? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 15
2 2015 Explorer XLT remote start 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 10
J 2013 explorer remote start 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
P Remote Start Activation 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 20
M Is Vehicle Security System Required to Purchase Remote Access Start 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 3
R '13 Xploder - Remote Start Q's 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 24
T Remote start extra key cost 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 7
S Remote Start Range 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 14
J Climate Settings With Remote Start 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 174
daverns Ford Remote Access Ends December 31, 2020 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 6
G Ford remote access iPhone app - lock / unlock stopped working. 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 38
expoman55 2016 remote work on 2015 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 1
P 2016 Ford Explorer and Remote Climate Control 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
T Built in remote starter. 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 3
M 2013 Explorer Security & Remote Starter Options 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 16
G Need a Replacement Key Remote 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 3
G Remote Access/Remote Messaging Unit 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 21
peterk9 Ford Cellular Remote Module Installation Instructions 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 0
A Ford Remote Access App? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 15
D Keyless Entry/Keyless Start Issues 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 4
E Can't find key slot to start car 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 4
Eltee Jump Start, Now Navigation is Malfunctioning 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 6
N FM Switches to BlueTooth Upon Start-Up 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 9
D 2015 Explorer Sport - Intermittant no-start with push button start 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 21
R can i get ford push button start 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 2
P MFT indexes and builds media commands every time I start the Explorer 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 7
P AM Radio When Power Off/ USB When Start Again?? 2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology 3