Remote start via text/call? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote start via text/call?

Reaction score
City, State
Arkansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer Limited
So, I have been searching and searching to find a solution to the unlimited range remote start. Ford has/had several option that we could by parts for, and apps to go along with. Unfortunately many of these parts are no longer available, not reliable, and the price for app access is a little on the pricey side. Has anyone thought of/tried using a prepaid cell sim card, (approximately $40 a year) and one of these :

amazon.com/Channel-Control-STM32F103CBT6-Greenhouse-WIshioT/dp/B07LCFTY5S/ref=sr_1_10 ie=UTF8&qid=1548996601&sr=8-10&keywords=GSM+Remote+Control

tied to an extra keyfob to generate the same affect as the ford pass app remote start?

In theory, (help me out here engineers) could you take a programmed fob, tie channel one of the relay channel to the lock channel of the fob, and channel two to the remote start channel of the fob to make this work? If you wanted to expand the functionality of the system, you could get say a four channel relay module to add your unlock and hatch release....

With open source programming, and these relay modules, wouldn't it be possible to make an app to control it all, and not have to text/call to activate the relay module?

I am no engineer, just throwing ideas out there..... :dunno::crazy:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford sells a remote access unit. Contact Benny at Levitown 623-500-2678 He is in Arizona time zone.. Awesome guy and can help you with a ford product for your Exp. I have one installed and LOVE IT !! calls through cell service to your vehicle. I have installed several with my friends on their Exp and Escapes as well.

There are a few existing threads on Remote Access using a Smartphone if that is what you're after.

Peter

There are a few existing threads on Remote Access using a Smartphone if that is what you're after.

Peter

I have found them, and read them, but this is more of a DYI type of project without using Ford's equipment or app. Just seeing if anyone has tried this, thought of this, or if everyone has just been using OEM/aftermarket parts that are more expensive. This type of project looks to be that the FOB that would have to wired to the relay module would probably be the most expensive part. Just putting a feeler out there to see if this route is feasible or has been tried is all.

Ford sells a remote access unit. Contact Benny at Levitown 623-500-2678 He is in Arizona time zone.. Awesome guy and can help you with a ford product for your Exp. I have one installed and LOVE IT !! calls through cell service to your vehicle. I have installed several with my friends on their Exp and Escapes as well.

Is this the one that you purchase the RMU and VSS to make work? If my understanding of the thread, You MUST have the VSS to have the RMU work. I don't have a sticker, but looking through the as built data, the Perimeter Car Alarm ( 726-01-02 in FORSCAN) is enabled, so do I already have the VSS?

TIA

If you have remote start key fob you likely have to just get the vss and RMU modules and plug and play.. your hood switch is likely already installed. I did the install on my buddies escape and my explorer and used forescan to turn on the remote start.. Benny activated the system for free remotely at no charge.. worked out well.

This is the fob I have
2016-ford-mustang-smart-remote-key-w-remote-engine-start-2.jpg

Looks like you may.. Call benny and give him your vin he can tell you exactly what you need specific to that vehicle and get you what ever you do need. Frankly it is a pretty easy gig even if you needed the vss and RMU.. they pretty much piggy back. I actually zip tied my together to a main bundle and is neat and tidy.. took longer to think about it than do it.. LOL Here in upstate NY not one day goes by i don't use it. several times a day.. my wife loves it when we are out at a restaurant that I can start the truck and have it warm when we go out to get in.. I just with her BMW had it.. LOL

So, I just got off the phone with Benny. He said since the app hasn't been updated, it may not work with newer phones as the phones get updated. Ford has discontinued the products for remote access, but may still be found on ebay. Guess I may have to dive into the sync3 realm, and try that. :banghead:

Well I have the newest iphone and OS and have no issue.. I take it he didnt have them in stock? I can get you the part numbers off mine if you wish.

I have found them, and read them, but this is more of a DYI type of project without using Ford's equipment or app. Just seeing if anyone has tried this, thought of this, or if everyone has just been using OEM/aftermarket parts that are more expensive. This type of project looks to be that the FOB that would have to wired to the relay module would probably be the most expensive part. Just putting a feeler out there to see if this route is feasible or has been tried is all.

Is this the one that you purchase the RMU and VSS to make work? If my understanding of the thread, You MUST have the VSS to have the RMU work. I don't have a sticker, but looking through the as built data, the Perimeter Car Alarm ( 726-01-02 in FORSCAN) is enabled, so do I already have the VSS?

TIA

Bit off topic, but where did you acquire the as built data and how did you view it?

I've tried a few different methods but I'm down to buying a new window sticker from Ford.

you can go to ford web site and download them by putting in your Vin ... ( if you are looking for the factory window sticker).. I have forscan on my laptop and an OBS2/usb connector ( make sure you have the correct one) and have saved it on Forscan on my laptop. Only thing I have really used mine for was the remote start kit to turn on VSS and then to change my DRLs from parking to headlights then decided to turn on my LED fogs instead... so my DRLs are now my LED Fogs

you can go to ford web site and download them by putting in your Vin ... ( if you are looking for the factory window sticker).. I have forscan on my laptop and an OBS2/usb connector ( make sure you have the correct one) and have saved it on Forscan on my laptop. Only thing I have really used mine for was the remote start kit to turn on VSS and then to change my DRLs from parking to headlights then decided to turn on my LED fogs instead... so my DRLs are now my LED Fogs

Where on the Ford website is this possible? I've looked all over but it seems like the only place is on Ford parts, which is a physical sticker you pay to have shipped to you.

I downloaded FORscan the other day as well as the as built data from the motorcraft website (still waiting for an MX scanner) but I can't load it into FORscan and I don't know how I can, so I still searching how to do so.

Where on the Ford website is this possible? I've looked all over but it seems like the only place is on Ford parts, which is a physical sticker you pay to have shipped to you.

I downloaded FORscan the other day as well as the as built data from the motorcraft website (still waiting for an MX scanner) but I can't load it into FORscan and I don't know how I can, so I still searching how to do so.
I've never seen it either.

If you have your as built data, why do you still need the sticker?

Well I have the newest iphone and OS and have no issue.. I take it he didnt have them in stock? I can get you the part numbers off mine if you wish.

That would be great, thank you!
Would Benny still activate it even if it wasn't purchased through him?

That's fine if you already have a Window Sticker and a cellphone capable of scanning.

Peter

If you have your as built data, why do you still need the sticker?

I have the file, in .ab format, if my as-built which I can't access through any program. Still haven't been able to figure out how to do with FORscan (still waiting on an OBD scanner anyway).

Hence the need for the window sticker. If I can't figure out how to get it by next week, I'll just order one from Ford.

Were you able to pull the part #s?

I was playing around with ForScan today, and noticed the perimeter alarm is enabled, but it didn't show a VSS module or part number. It also showed a gateway module, but I am guessing it's just for the download firmware and apps connectivity.

Only success I've had with ForScan is the remote window operation, shift lock without IA key present, and double honk.

Back