Remote start with stick project

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Howdy. I have successfully installed my alarm with remote starter in my '92 XL stick shift and I feel that it's safe.

When I got the alarm, I found that NO shops want to wire up the remote starter, of course, because they're afraid of me launching the truck into a crowd of people. Yeah, that would suck pretty bad. The shop did wire up the alarm though, but without power locks, well, it's just an alarm :p

My alarm is a "Mannix Millenium" from ebay. About $150. Has a ton of extra features and works pretty good. The including instructions are a half way decent translation, but I have instructions for a clone of the same alarm that are written a lot better.

Wiring it up is a mess. I used a lot of those wire couplers that don't require you to actually cut the wire. They're pimp yo.

I wish Explorers has a neutral light or similar, but this is how it works...

-the parking brake must be on.

-When you turn off the truck's ignition, the alarm will chirp and the engine will stay running. A weird feeling having the key out with it still running :confused: . Then you exit, close the doors, and press the lock/arm button on the remote. As you can figure, the doors would lock and the alarm would turn on, but the engine also turns off. So there you go. It forces you to exit the truck while idling. It's pretty close to foolproof. I love it. I'm gonna add the same one to my Limited since that's my winter vehicle and having it warm in the morning will be nice :thumbsup:

Working steadily, it took my about 4 hours to wire up the remote starter and set it all up. The Mannix alarm is great for the price. I've been using the alarm part of it for months. If you guys need pix or diagrams or sumthin, lemme know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to say that the Mannix has a pager, which is the point. So when there's an intruder you can go kick their azz

Hey man - seem like you know what you are talking about - I have a 2000 XLT with the stock keyless entry and alarm and I was going to put an remote start on mine (a/t though). So I was wondering how much a shop would charge to install one. A friend of mine has a Rattler system that he's willing to give me for free. Any advice would be great

-Drew

Total installation for an alarm with remote start would run maybe $200. Mine was $125, but they didn't do the starter as I described before, and my dad did plumbing for th eowner so he hooked me up.

Hm, well a friend of mine works at an audio/video shop - maybe he can help me out. Thanks for the input!

-Drew

There are kits you can get to make the remote start on a manual "legal."

Like mine?

Back