• Register Today It's free!

Remote starter recommendations

wesalexleft

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer V8 4.6L
I'm looking for an easy remote start for a 1997 Mounty with power locks and keypad entry. Anyone with experience? I don't need fancy alarm features. Two way comms from the remote would be nice though. Mainly looking for a model with good directions and easiest install. One remote for starting, doors, etc as well, but doesn't have to be the OEM remote.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a viper alarm on mine. Pretty easy to install hardest part of the whole thing was working in such a small space. Just take your time with it pay attion to which wires are which.

I have an Avitel from Best Buy in mine. I've had it for 2 years and it was about $100 INSTALLED! I did have to pay a little more for the override kit for the pats key. I'm very happy wiht it, and it works very well. I do wish I could control the locks though, having 2 fobs is bit much, and if I forget to unlock it before I start, I have to use the key to manually unlock the door.

Thanks! I've just ordered the Avital 5101, and plan on installing it myself. I think I'll just pull the driver's seat to make plenty of room. Any tips on the install? I've done a quick read on the instructions and the only things I'm not too sure about so far are the + or - door lock pulses. I'm looking forward to a warm truck over the next few months.

Allnpt0,

Thanks for the info and the offer of help. I'm sure it will come in handy. I'm looking to do the remote start either next weekend, or the week after and I'll surely take you up on the offer of help if needed. I "think" it will be fairly straightforward, but there's always those things that tend to pop up anyhow. The old truck runs great and is my "foul weather" vehicle, so it might as well be warm when I get in it during the winter.

Back