• Register Today It's free!

Remote Starter ?'s

Millertime1987

Reaction score
City, State
New Richmond
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4X4
Went through the search function and found some threads about Remote Starters but would like to know what would be a good one to get? Have thought about going with the ones with all the bells and whistles but would like to know if its worth the extra couple hondo for a LCD display on the keyfob for knowing when everything starts up or is just a 2way receiver all i need to indicate the car has started.

I was also looking in www.commandocaralarms.com and they have an addition for the remote starter to have all the windows open is this a worth while component to have in the summer or just a waste? it's only like 40 bucks or something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my cousin has one with the lcd display pager and his rolls the windows down too if its set that way. I definately would like something like his rather then my regular push the button remote starter, but both get the job done.

-Rich

I installed one on my 98 sport... I used one from design-tech but I think they have been bought out by someone else but you can still find them by doing a google on “design-tech”. Mine is just a “push to start” no two way action but it is rally reliable… you will need to buy an alarm bypass module and you will need an extra key. The alarm bypass is the trickiest part of the install… I have installed 3 starters now, mine a Saturn and an f-150… so if you need any help with the install I may be able to help.

I have the Ford branded one and it works great. I had a little problem when the ring came off from the ignition but I just slid it back on and all is well.

Question: If the windows roll down then would someone be able to get in your car and maybe steal somthing from inside of it? Example - I sometimes start mine before I leave a restraunt to warm it up or cool it off. Someone could walk by and steal somthing from inside.

I just got married and tell the wife to go start the car if she wants to be warm ;)

A company named "code alarm" makes the factory systems for Ford and Chrysler and it seems to be the way to go. Do a Google search for "code alarm"

fords remote start is made by code alarm wich is one of the top ones

Question: If the windows roll down then would someone be able to get in your car and maybe steal somthing from inside of it? Example - I sometimes start mine before I leave a restraunt to warm it up or cool it off. Someone could walk by and steal somthing from inside.
You can program the secondary function to do anything you want. Persay, turn on the heat or ac, open windows on sunroof, whatever you want for the amount of wiring you wish to do (or pay to be done)

One brand is as good as the next most times, but bulldog sucks:thumbsup:

Indeed, stick with Code Alarm. The install isn't as easy, but when done right, it interfaces with the PATS system instead of defeating it. Why anyone would want to defeat the one anti-theft system that actually works is beyond me.

-Joe

Why anyone would want to defeat the one anti-theft system that actually works is beyond me.

Because they don't want to pay the premium for the system, or the install when its available so much cheaper maybe? And you're not defeating the system, you are activating it remotely via a key. The system cannot be defeated, bypassed, or otherwise gone around. Having a secondary key to activate it for remote starting purposes is not a defeat. :thumbsup:

Once you start the car remotely, how do you get in and drive off? Does it have to turn off so you can restart it with the key? Or does it just stay running and you simply unlock the steering wheel with your key and don't start it cause it's already running?

Those of you that have the Code-Alarm how well does it interface with the factory keyless entry? Do you have to carry two fobs on your keyring? Does the Code-Alarm one replace the factory fob? What model Code-Alarm do I get? I don't care for the display, I just want the buttons to lock/unlock doors and start the thing.

I have the Viper 591XV. I work for Best Buy, and it is the best one we sell. http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_responder.asp

I'm happy with it. I've never had any problems with it. The only thing wrong with it isn't mechanical really.. It has to do with how it was installed. The guy that did it for me took a shortcut and basically one of my doors isn't armed. So, then there's a trick to turning the alarm off while inside the truck. But, I guess it sort of makes it harder to steal just in the fact that it's not the usual install.

The way Viper works is that when you auto-start it, once you get in, you put the key in and click it over to 2 (without trying to turn it over) and then hit the brake pedal and it alieviates the alarm. If you hit the brake pedal without inserting the key first, the engine turns off.

I've had mine for over a year now and I love it. However, my speaker for the alarm is small so the alarm itself isn't too loud. I need to find a bigger one.

Hey thanks for the opinions. I am still looking but will keep you all informed. Also Roger84 i may be asking for your help with the install. Although its getting cold here in Minnesnowta so i may have someone else install it for me.

Once you start the car remotely, how do you get in and drive off? Does it have to turn off so you can restart it with the key? Or does it just stay running and you simply unlock the steering wheel with your key and don't start it cause it's already running?

Those of you that have the Code-Alarm how well does it interface with the factory keyless entry? Do you have to carry two fobs on your keyring? Does the Code-Alarm one replace the factory fob? What model Code-Alarm do I get? I don't care for the display, I just want the buttons to lock/unlock doors and start the thing.

With the Ford branded remote start, aka Code Alarm, Once the car is started remotely and you get in to drive off you simply insert the key and turn to the run possition. When you press the brake the remote system shuts off and with the key in the run possition the engine will remain running. If you dont put the key in and just press the brake the engine will shut off. The remote system will run the engine for about 15 min. This time is adjustable.

As far as the keyless entry goes it deponds on which model you get. Some have remote unlock, the less expensive do not. I have the "Silver" Model which does have the keyless entry. The only diffrence is that with the remote start fob I only have to press the unlock once for all the doors to unlock, unlike the factory keyless entry that is one press of unlock for the driver door and another for the rest of the doors.

Jeff

Back