removal of 1998 Explorer Limited cruise control switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

removal of 1998 Explorer Limited cruise control switch

brandonscraig

Reaction score
City, State
Christiansburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer Limited
The cruise control on my 98 Explorer stopped working after I left the sunroof open in a downpour. I suspect the switch on the steering wheel got water in it, so I want to replace it. How do I remove it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Easy fix - you can get new units on Ebay or try local JY.

to remove you look under steering wheel, you will see 2 covers. Remove them and the hardware inside and the horn button/air bag will come off

disconnect.

Access to switches are there to remove and replace

Take great care on unplugging them from steering wheel.

:thumbsup:

Easy fix - you can get new units on Ebay or try local JY.

to remove you look under steering wheel, you will see 2 covers. Remove them and the hardware inside and the horn button/air bag will come off

disconnect.

Access to switches are there to remove and replace

Take great care on unplugging them from steering wheel.

:thumbsup:
Is this procedure the same for the Limited steering wheel? Its buttons are different than other trim levels.

Before you start the procedure, remove the negative cable from your battery and wait 30 minutes to discharge the air bag activation circuit. This should prevent accidental deployment of the air bag. The actual replacement should take approximately 15 minutes if you reuse the wiring harness. I've done this repair 3 times on my 99 XLT. Original Owner 249K miles.

Before you start the procedure, remove the negative cable from your battery and wait 30 minutes to discharge the air bag activation circuit. This should prevent accidental deployment of the air bag. The actual replacement should take approximately 15 minutes if you reuse the wiring harness. I've done this repair 3 times on my 99 XLT. Original Owner 249K miles.
The cruise control switches are different on the Limited steering wheel.

On the limited you simply pry them out of the steering wheel (gently). No need to remove the airbag or anything.

Back