Removal of the front and rear ford emblem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removal of the front and rear ford emblem

sherwing2000

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sports
Does anybody onboard show us how to remove them. I'm planning to replace them with black ford emblems. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am pretty sure everyone just uses overlays.

but for those of us who don't, because not every one uses overlays, what is the process???

I'm guessing remove the plastic cowling to get to the back ofthe grille emblem, and I'm assuming the rear lift gate plastic is held on with clips to access the back side of the ford oval, but some confirmation would be appreciated. I ordered overlays but I'll probably sell them. I want to do the full emblem swaps.

Sorry I can't input on the removal process, but out of curiosity, but where did you find the emblems?

Harley#356, if you sell the overlays for a good price I might be interested .

Azazell, somebody posted a link to ebay with a seller that had full replacements.

awmenard, shoot me a PM. I'm still waiting for them to arrive since the seller is in the UK, but I'd like to try and just sell them for what I paid for them. I'll be out the shipping getting them to me, but whenver I get them, it'd only be a couple days to get to you as long as you're in the US too. I'd have to double check but it'd probably be like $30 for the set.

The rear emblem is just a sticker. The front emblem is attached with clips. You need to remove grill to take it off. I have done both and wrapped each with 3m carbon fiber vinyl.

Can it be remove without taking out the grill?

I am not sure. I had the grill off to do other mods when I removed the emblem. When you open the hood, there is a black plate that covers the gap between the grill and the radiator, that can be removed and you might be able to get your hands in there. You could also remove two fasteners for the top portion of the grill and pry the grill forward a little to have more room. The fasteners for the black top plate and and grill are really easy to remove.

cool deal. so the rear is just 3M tape? And no nuts on the front just clips you can pop out from the back without breaking? My Raptor had clips on the tailgate emblem but they break no matter what you do since they're so thin.

I ordered the emblem covers off ebay and since they leave a sliver of chrome showing I ordered a sheet of black vinyl so I can wrap the emblem before installing the covers. Be easier to wrap with them off the SUV.

Maybe missed it, did we confirm the rear emblem is just 3M tape? No posts? No clips? The one I received from an ebay seller has clips, then again he also sent me a bezel for it to pop into for backup cam, though I said I didn't need it. Trying to make sure I have the right part before I go through the trouble.

TYDFAN I bet you bought from the guy who has an ebay name of downbythebuilding or something like that. He doesnt seem to take directions very well. You need to be very very detailed in your description of what you want on top of what the auction states. He has a zillion ebay auctions going on at once and I think he gets dizzy.

Anyways, the rear emblem on a 2011-2014 explorer doesnt have anything behind it but some heavyduty double sided commercial grade adhesive. It covers the back perfectly. Its a shame it is not reusable because the 3m tape you have to replace it is very hard to shape perfectly like the original.

The front emblem is a little bit scary to remove if you dont want to remove the whole grille strip it is attached to. I used a butter knife wrapped in microfiber and wedged it off from top to bottom. I held my hand near the plastic grille area so it wouldnt flex or break when I gave it a good heave-ho. It sounds like he shipped you a front emblem if it has three posts and came with two self tapping nuts for the smooth/non threaded posts.

photo6.jpg

Also, the front is larger than the rear emblem. If you have the front one, install it! It looks great once done. There is a posts for this already. 9inches and 7 inches I think.

Good luck!

Buzz

Now how'd you get so smart! ;) Yes, it was him. Nice guy, but I had a feeling he'd get it wrong. I even sent pics! Oh well. I'm guessing this is the wrong emblem... My new rear one has studs that snap it into the bezel (not needed, I know) My issue is, do I cut them off and 3M that puppy on or hassle with getting the correct one...

The part number on the emblem he sent is CL34-402A16-BB

And yes, I installed the front last night and it looks great on my black Sport. Those blue ones stuck out like a sore thumb.

Razor them off flush and spend 20 minutes cutting out perfect shaped 3m pieces to the rear of the badge. I had about 10 pieces of 3m tape to cover the back of mine which I figured I had about 95% coverage before the install. Dont forget the alcohol for a better bond.

I bought my emblems from the same guy on ebay. The front came in with dirt in the paint and he is replacing it with no issue.

I replaced the rear emblem today since I had it in hand and had only one issue. The rear one was barely being held on by about 1/16" x 2" of the factory tape along the bottom edge. The dang thing was almost falling off on its own!

Very simple replacement as I already had some 3M tape on hand to use on the back side, let's just hope it holds on better than the factory tape did.

Now I am looking at buying the black Ecoboost emblem from the Lincoln MK series as they are already black. If I do it I just need to find a good way to paint the Sport emblem black and it will be done (aside from vinyl wrapping the door handles.)

Had to take a second look at mine. Thought it was dark blue at first but it is black, like you said.;)

Peter

Attachments

• P4060216_001.JPG
    P4060216_001.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 2,009

I recently purchased some new all black badges for my Explorer and after searching the forum realized I couldn't find any pictures of the rear emblem removal. I have attached a link to the photos of the removal and replacement and here are the steps I took.

Rear replacement:
1) I heated the emblem up with a hair dryer and softened the tape.
2) Took dental floss (fishing line works well too) and loosed the tape on both sides. You will not be able to go all the way through because there are two guide pins and two lock pins holding it in place.
3) Once you have loosened the tape a bit take either your fingers, a screw driver (be careful not to scratch or dent your ride) or a plastic trim tool and slows start prying the emblem up. You will hear the tape loosen and start to give.
4) Continue pulling until the emblem releases from the vehicle.
5) take your finger and start to rub off the left over trim tape. My car is pretty new so most of it came off with the emblem (as you can see in the photo). It took me about 2-3 minutes to get the remaining tape removed simply by rubbing it away like dried glue on your fingers:)
6) clean the area (I should have done this first:)
7) use rubbing alchol to give the area a final cleaning and to ensure the new trim tape sufficiently holds
8) remove the backing from your new emblem and using the guide pins push in place.
9) stand back and enjoy your new emblem.

Front replacement:
I also replaced the front emblem but since there are already several posts I didnt take pictures. It was easy and aside from losing a 10mm socket in the front of the car (it dropped down somewhere and has yet to be found...) took me about 20 minutes. I did unbolt the two horns and moved them out of the way which made it much easier to get my hand in there to remove the two 10mm bolts holding the factory emblem on.

Here is a link to my pictures of the rear. Sorry for the dirty car - its still yucky in MN right now.

https://goo.gl/photos/1C5pS5ATETLS6M1g6

Thanks - AK

This looks awesome! Where did you get the logos?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back